Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

4th Gen F-Bird Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen F-Bird Wiring Questions

I've been having problems with the factory radio screen. It sometimes malfunctions, showing partial digits and whatnot. I also noticed that occasionally the power windows will stop operating out of no where and that the cd player skips alot more than it should. My first thought was that there was a bad main ground to the dash harness but I do not have a wiring diagram for this car so I don't know how it's run. Low voltage would definately cause screen and window malfunctions and possibly lower voltage in the cd player could cause a weak singal from the laser causing it to be extra sensitive to shock and scratches. Not only this, but with a good pounding on the console any of these problems seems to be temporarily fixed, leading me to more stringly believe a major ground wire is either loose or corroded. can anyone verify this or has anyone had similar experiences?

also could someone tell me where to find the grounds that would cause this?

thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sorry but that's just wishful thinking. The ground that would affect those items is a stud behind the left kick panel, but if that were the problem you would have a lot of other things going wrong.

Your head unit is dying. A cleaning might help with the CD skipping but that seldom works. There is a fix for the display problem that involves resoldering the connection between the face panel and the radio circuit board but you may just have to replace it if that doesn't solve the problem.

Your windows problem could be caused by a dying circuit breaker (they do wear out) but is more likely the motor - also a very common problem. You can replace the circuit breaker with the equivalent 30-amp fuse and see if that solves the problem. Also, there is a kit that routes battery voltage to the motors to help with sluggish windows. But be prepared to get a replacement motor from AutoZone or wherever (not from the dealer) for about $50 with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-12-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Teching In

boo. any mroe info on that soldering to fix the screen? anyone got a writeup for this? just trying to sell the car and i think if someone toko it for a ride and the screen crapped out it might not help sell it :-/
Old 07-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Here's a post with step-by-step directions for repairing the solder joints: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....55&postcount=4. It's not terribly difficult if you have some experience with soldering. If not, maybe a friend or a local electronics repair shop could help out.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Teching In

awesome thanks i'll try that out soon