Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switch

More or less a simple question here......Since I'm not trusting the factory alarm anymore...

If I wired in a hidden switch going to the nuetral saftey, would somebody still be able to start the car if they hot wired it and I had the switch open? On one of my thirdgens, I had a switch on the ground for the ignition box, and that worked fine, but I figured it would be easier to use the nuetral safety if it works. Thank you
Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

A manual transmission car doesn't have a neutral safety switch. Automatics have the switch to prevent the car from starting unless it's in park or neutral. M6s have only a backup light switch connected to the transmission. You can start the car in any gear as long as the clutch is depressed.

You could connect a switch in the clutch switch circuit that would prevent the car from starting even when the clutch is pressed. With the switch open the car could still be hotwired but only by somebody who was very familiar with f-body wiring (you'd have to bypass the BCM control of the starter relay).
Old 07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/alarm96up4.htm
Old 07-18-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why not just go straight to the fuel pump? No worries then
Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the help guys. When I reffered to nuetral safety I was refering to the clutch pedal switch. It sounds like that will work for what I'm looking for. I will not put a kill switch on the fuel pump only because I don't want to burn any cylinders. I'm not familiar with a lot of the 4th gen electrical/system stuff yet, so I don't know, maybe there is something to prevent the starter from turning over if there's no fuel pressure.
The link is very helpful also. I assume it will work for a '99 as well?