Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine SPS-170A help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alpine SPS-170A help

I bought these speakers about two months ago and wired them up using the stock wiring and harness so I could just plug it into the stock harness in the door. I sodered everything together and put them in and they play fine when the volume is low but anytime I turn it up at all to a somewhat decent volume, the right speaker crackles and sounds like its blown and the left one will do it on occasion as well....I just want to make sure I wired everything up okay and its not that first before I know its shitty speakers. Does anyone have a good picture on how they wired theirs up and if they are having any problems with theirs at a somewhat decent volume. Everything else in the car is stock monsoon, including the head unit. I checked for pictures in the sticky but most are old so they dont open...
Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the monsoon system?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Fb0dy0nly]Everything else in the car is stock monsoon, including the head unit.QUOTE]
You should only be using 1 pair of wires per door.

The distortion you hear at high volumes more than likely isn't your speakers, but distortion created by the factory HU (assuming 1 pair).

Last edited by fredmr39; 08-08-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, everything else is monsoon, I blew both my door speakers and so I replaced them with the Alpines and now when I turn it up, they distort like crazy. I used the stock harness and hook up so I am only running that setup (the two black and two red wires). I know that changing out the stock head unit will help out the sound but do you guys think it will help that much? Anyone have a pic at all?, I can post one of mine later when I get home and maybe you guys can tell me if something looks out of place.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Unless you modified the Alpine speakers to split the woofer and tweeter into separate components you must only use one pair (one red and one black) on each side leaving the other pair disconnected in each door.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I may have found my problem then....thanks whitebird, I will check that out.