Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

F'd up amp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F'd up amp?

Hi, I noticed that my middle speakers sounded like **** a bit ago... I took one out and the other one started to sound bad. I'm not exactly swimming in money so I bought an $80 pair of pioneer speakers and when I tried hooking them up I only got low sounds and nothing high from the tweeters. However, if I connect them to another unit they work fine. I'm assuming something's screwed up with my amp and was wondering if this is common?...if I can fix it? or do I need a whole new amp? what's my best bet for the lowest price?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it's factory stuff you're talking about, all you will get is bass from the center speakers. They are technically the woofers for the car. The rear and front speakers are your mid-to-high speakers.

If you have a Bose equipped vehicle the rear one is mid and the front is high.
Most likely it is not your amp that is messed up.

For a nice setup I would recommend this process.

Step one. New deck.
Step two. Four channel
Step three. new speakers
Step four. Subwoofer and Mono amp

And don't get crap wiring.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your Monsoon amp is working fine. The sail panel speakers are bass frequencies only. So if that's all you are getting then that would be correct, there is nothing wrong with your amp. That was GM's great idea for a sound system. It actually sounds pretty good at first but as time goes on the speakers deteriorate and it starts to go south. The 2 best things you can upgrade and get better sound are the head unit and the speakers. The Monsoon amp itself is not that bad. The culprit is the factory cd player. It is a distortion box and then the Monsoon amplifies it. When you upgade the radio and the speakers it makes a big difference in sound quality.
What Greendrazil said about a whole new system is correct, that would sound much better, but by doing that you are completely redoing your entire system and bypassing the Monsoon altogether. I would start by upgrading what I mentioned and then see if you want more out of it.

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 09-17-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed out all my speakers and my HU, left the monsoon amp for now, and it sounds much better.

A little off topic but is there a way to boost the output to the sail panel subs? Seems like they could use a little more oomph but I don't know of a way to do that.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

I changed out all my speakers and my HU, left the monsoon amp for now, and it sounds much better.

A little off topic but is there a way to boost the output to the sail panel subs? Seems like they could use a little more oomph but I don't know of a way to do that.
What you use as replacements for the sail panel subs makes a significant difference in the level of bass. Efficient subs with impedance matched to the amp as closely as possible (such as the eD 7kv.2 and a few others) will provide rich bass. Of course, if you want some real bump, you'll have to add a bigger sub and another amp.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Launching!

best set up is to rip out the monsoon system and rewire the door and sail panel speakers with a nice clear set of 6.5" and then put a sub and mono amp set up in the back. i'm not running a 4 channel amp and my set up is loud as hell. eventually i will up grade to a 4 channel tho...
Old 09-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 5-channel amps on special right now that would run doors, sails, and a sub. 2 to choose from. I also have the speakers to go with them. Between the 2 you could replace your whole system with some pretty nice stuff!! Links:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/780241-kee-audio-amplifier-deals-w-amp-install-kit.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/780227-more-kee-audio-packages.html