Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No Sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Sound

I happoned opon a 98 z28 and was moving parts over from my 99 Z that was totaled.

Long story short who ever installed the stereo in the 98 was a idiot.

the system did play music out the speakers before i started working on it.

the car did have at one point a monsoon system in it.

they had cut the rear speakers, most of the harness and changed most of the speakers in the car.

i added the rear speakers from the 99 to the 98 and cut the stock harness from the 99 and matched wires to recreate the harness in the 98.

they ran speaker wire to the doors and sails and cut the stock wire, so i wired the speaker wire too the harness.

i crimped the stereo harness to the harness kit from the 99, the deck turns on and functions like it did before but now there is no sound out the speakers.

i went to test the deck in my wifes car, (same brand) and the unit works fine. tryed my wifes radio in my car same as the other deck.

i am completely frustrated, the wireing in the 99 worked fine before it was totaled.

is there something that the 98 has that is diffrent then the 99??

please help
Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Is the Monsoon amp missing? If you correctly reconnected the factory wiring using parts from your other car then all speakers are powered by the Monsoon amp. Missing amp = no sound.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought i saw it in the back pannel but they might of hacked it up too. i will pull the amp from the 99 to check that too.