Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Stereo & Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default Speaker help with 1999 firebird (monsoon)

Hey guys,

I need some help replacing some speakers in my car. I came across the monsoon FAQ sticky and wanted to ask about this posting in particular... http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...31&postcount=7

There it says...
Quote:
Tan...Left Sub +
White...Left Sub -
Dark Blue with White...Left Sub +
Light Green with Black...Left Sub -
Are these different signals or reduntant?
Why are there two Left Sub + and two Left Sub -?

The speakers I bought only have two wires on them.
What I wound up doing was pairing the two positives together and the two negatives together and connected the new speaker.
Is this wrong?

Thanks in advance,
~Eric
FunkyELF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Ungrounded Director
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

The right side also has two positive and two negative wires. The subs in Firebirds are dual voice coil - they have two separate coils of wire around the magnet so they have two of each terminal.

Connecting the wires together and attaching them to some aftermarket speaker is definitely wrong. In effect, you are bridging two channels of a Monsoon amp that isn't designed for bridging. Turn up the volume and watch for the smoke from the right quarter area near the spare. Electronic devices only have so much smoke in them and when you let it out they won't work anymore.

You should either use only one of the two pairs on each side or you should get a proper DVC replacement sub.

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!
WhiteBird00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks. I figured the guy at circuit city didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

Where could I pick up a pair of cheap replacement DVC speakers? I didn't think I saw any at circuit city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
The right side also has two positive and two negative wires. The subs in Firebirds are dual voice coil - they have two separate coils of wire around the magnet so they have two of each terminal.

Connecting the wires together and attaching them to some aftermarket speaker is definitely wrong. In effect, you are bridging two channels of a Monsoon amp that isn't designed for bridging. Turn up the volume and watch for the smoke from the right quarter area near the spare. Electronic devices only have so much smoke in them and when you let it out they won't work anymore.

You should either use only one of the two pairs on each side or you should get a proper DVC replacement sub.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Ungrounded Director
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

Depends on what you call "cheap". A popular aftermarket DVC 6.5" sub is the eD 7kv.2 (formerly EU-700). It wires up just like stock but it's a little deeper so it requires a spacer for mounting. I have a pair in my car and they are amazing compared to stock (even running off the stock Monsoon amp). They cost $65 each but they're on backorder until mid-January. Factory replacements are $70 each at the dealer - about half that online.

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!
WhiteBird00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Mod Motor Premium Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 65

For a DVC 6.5" sub those are the only options. I searched high and low for a company that I could buy from that had a DVC 6.5" sub and they just don't exist anymore. I even tryed to see if CDT would make me some...no dice yet on that one either.
I was able to find some home theater type speakers that are dvc in a 6.5" version that are 3-way but they are also 8ohm speakers so it would defeat the purpose.
As far as I have been able to find eD is the only car audio company that makes a DVC 6.5" sub.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks,

I searched eBay and found this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-p...ayphotohosting
$82 for a pair so it is about half if you were saying they were $70 each from factory.
They also said that this is a new design and less likely to fail.

~Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
Depends on what you call "cheap". A popular aftermarket DVC 6.5" sub is the eD 7kv.2 (formerly EU-700). It wires up just like stock but it's a little deeper so it requires a spacer for mounting. I have a pair in my car and they are amazing compared to stock (even running off the stock Monsoon amp). They cost $65 each but they're on backorder until mid-January. Factory replacements are $70 each at the dealer - about half that online.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Mod Motor Premium Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 65

Those have been out for a little while now. They are no different then the ones you took out so the "new design" is BS. However, they will work as replacements of course but I thought you should know. They will fail just like the others. The stockers always do but choices are limited so...
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1999, 65, 99, audio, car, connect, dvc, firebird, kee, monsoon, speaker, speakers, stereo, stereos, upgrade