Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock wiring?

I'm thinking about swapping out the stock speakers, head unit, and adding a sub in a stealth enclosure. Should I reuse the stock wiring, or is it necessary/beneficial to replace it when doing this? Also, are there any tips on the easiest/cleanest route to run sub/amp wiring?
Old 12-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Unless you're planning to install an amp for the other speakers as well, you should use the factory wiring so that the Monsoon amp is still functional. Adding the amp for the sub is just a case of getting a line out converter to convert the speaker-level signal to pre-amp (RCA) for connection to the sub amp.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the resonse, but unfortunately, I'm even more confused.

On previous car audio setups I've work with the speakers were connected directly to the HU, but they didn't have a stock amp (to my knowledge), and I've never installed subs.

The main reason for the first question is that I was curious about the front speakers - do I still need to use a coax mounted component speaker there and wire it like the stock replacement guide says? I was thinking replacing the whole system would make it easier to select components, but this looks like I'll still be limited to the suggested stock replacement speakers.

Should I just disconnect the stock subs from the amp? Does the signal for the sub amp come from the current sub output on the Monsoon amp, or directly from the new HU?

Thanks - I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole setup before I start piecing it together.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

This subject has been discussed hundreds of times. I suggest starting with the Monsoon FAQ sticky for basic information about how the Monsoon system is set up.

You can install an aftermarket head unit and rewire everything to run your new speakers directly from the HU. That will make speaker selection fairly easy but installation more difficult.

Or, you can install your aftermarket head unit using the factory wiring and factory amp. Installation is easy but speaker selection is more difficult. I recommend contacting Kee Audio for equipment he sells that is a drop-in replacement for the door speakers and sail panel subs. He also sells stealth boxes, subs and amps for additional bass if you want it.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, though I did read through all the faqs and Monsoon sticky and didn't see the answers to my questions.

As basic and common as it may seem, there's info on installing either HU or speakers, but not both, and I didn't see much about the amp either (admittedly, I hadn't thought about reusing the stock amp, so I hadn't searched about it, but my questions on it aren't answered in the stickies).
Old 12-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The two (replacing HU and replacing speakers) are not mutually exclusive - you can do one or the other or both. Keeping the Monsoon amp allows you to upgrade the system for much better sound now and still leaves your options open for further upgrades later (such as a bigger aftermarket amp to power the doors and sail panels).
Old 12-28-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I'll have to do some more searching on the amp then...