Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

alpine front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alpine front speakers

I had some sony explodes in the front doors just hooked to one set of speaker wires by the PO. One of them came apart so I replaced one with the SPS-17c alpines.
The sonys seem to have louder highs than the alpines. They are crappy highs but louder. the alpines sound better but seam to be quite.
Is it worth it to hook up the tweeter to the tweeter wires? will it make it louder? When you cut the wires does the each speaker become 2 ohm or does it just stay the same 4ohm?

I really expected more out of them.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You expected more out of a speaker that isn't even hooked up right? You haven't hooked up either of the speakers you installed correctly so comparing the 2 is kind of pointless.
For you to hook these up properly you need to use both pairs of wires. One pair is for mids and the other pair is for the highs. This means you have to locate the tweeter wire on your Alpine speaker which is the small black wire running into the center of the magnet. Cut it (leaving enough slack to wire to) and hook it up to the stock tweeter wires. Then hook the other pair of wires (midrange) to the pos. and neg. leads on the Alpine speaker.
By you not using both pairs of stock wires you are not getting full range sound so of course they won't sound good.
The color code for each wire is located in the FAQ above so you know which wires go to what.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Teching In

the speakers seem to have a full range of sound coming from them. I thought that the midbass wires actually had full range and only the tweeter wires were high pass.
Would splitting the speaker up really help?
by the way in my drivers door has two sets of red and black wires, nothing at all like what is in the stickies.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look further back and you will see that the black and red wires connect to the wires in the stickies. This is the only way to tell which one is what.
Plus, you won't get good highs from a midrange speaker....they cannot produce those frequencies.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Teching In

I don't follow you.
Are the wires for the mid bass speakers full range?
If they are then I would have the full range from the speakers hooked up just to those wires. I believe that is what is happing now. If so then these alpines really do not have good highs at all. The little 4" in the hatch over power the speakers on the highs. I have to turn down the bass so I know they are getting good power.
would seperating the tweeter and the midbass and hook them up like the factory, create better sound levels?
This looks difficult because the wire to the capacitor only has a very short wire to solder too and i could trash the cap.
Would it be better to get some extra tweeters and put them up by the mirrors instead of fooling with the alpines?
I don't know what to do.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont mean to highjack here but i am looking at those same alpines. all i find are ..-17c2
is the 2 at the end significant??
Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO they are not full-range signals.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Teching In

I don;t know what the 2 means.

dragonrage, has some one confirmed that they don't have full range? I read here that they do, I think it is in the stickies.

I can hear high hats and stuff, am I getting full range or am i missing the very top end?
Does any one know the filter cut off frequencys?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Why don't you just hook it up right then it'll work. Listen to KEE he knows what he is talking about.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Teching In

It is not that i don't trust these people, I just kneed to know why and I have seen too much conflicting info. I have never seen any one compare the two set ups and my speakers that were already in the car had some highs so I though it might be full range.

Any way i hooked up the passenger side split like the stickies mention or know as the correct way and bang, that sounds totally amazing compared to what the other alpine sounds like with just the mid bass hooked up. I had no idea what I have been missing. I can actually here all the dang static that the FM transmitter produces from my sirius.
The sony's were three way so they had the high pass filter cross over more into the range the mid bass line produces so it sounded "better" than the alpine.

Really the mid bass line allows all but the highest frequencies through.

So if there are other people who need to know exactly what and why here is some more info from test I did.

Thanks for the help, this is really the only way to hook it up.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The midrange wires (in Camaros) receive a full signal.