Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket system idea's

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket system idea's

This past summer I replaced the stock monsoon system in my car with new speakers, a sub, and a new HU. When i did the switch, i did not know the full details of the monsoon system, and i was unhappy with the sound in the car. all my sound seems to come from the rear, and nothing up front but very quiet mids and lows. after reading some stuff on here i now know what is causing my problems. I have a alpine 9883 hu, 4 kenwood 6.5's (forget exact model atm) and 2 infinity 4's in the rear (forget model as well). I also have a sony 12 xplod in a sealed box running off of a 400w amp. I am pretty happy with the bass and the highs from the infinity's, but lately the infinity's have been crackling b/c i was turning them up too high to compensate for the lack of highs up front. right now for a quick fix i plan to just bypass the factory amp and power my kenwoods off of the hu. this would cut out the hatch infinity's, but would my sound be better and more balanced? when i get money i plan on getting an external amp and powering the speakers from that. I was wondering if i could remove the stock amp and place another in its spot. my mom still drives the car (im 17), so i need functional space. my future plans include getting a subthump box and running sony everything in the car. i know some ppl dont like sony or w/e, but im hooked. (and i cant afford high end stuff, haha) but right now i need a quick fix for the lack of quality and balance. i bought all these speakers and i want to listen to them lol. not just a sub and and 2 broken 4's in the trunk.

so, basically:

Problems:

very quiet system for money i have in it
poor sound up front
bad overall balance (all sound in rear)
places to hide an external amp

Questions:
can i bypass the stock amp and run my 4 kenwood's with decent enough power from the HU?
will doing this even help my balance issues? (it should, since all speakers will be receiving full signals at the right impedance)
is there a way to potentially mount 6x9's in the hatch area? (where the 4's are. looks like a bigger speaker could fit.)
if not, what is the easiest way to power 6x9s in boxes on the deck?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem and a guy on here told he to wire the front door speakers directly to the HU and it worked perfectly. It made the front 2 speakers just as loud as the rears.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

thats what im leaning towards doing. im also gonna wire the sail panels while i have everything apart. im hoping its going to be a lot louder then it is now and more balanced.

also, i forgot to ask about my hatch lid. when i have my sub on, sometimes u can hear a rattle when u are standing outside. is there a way to stop it? and could having too much bass shatter the rear window? right now 400w isnt alot, but i plan to run almost 2000w by the time im done with the car.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amp bypass will make a world of difference

forget the 4's in the rear you dont need em

ur not gonna blow out the glass, buddy was runnin 2400watts rms in a TA on 2 15s and no problems. thats real rms watts not sony watts

FYI pioneer makes a decent 4 channel you can get em for 130 on ebay 60rmsx4
Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

ok, thx for the info. im excited to get all this done friday. another question though. it has to do with my sub and box. my box is a sealed 12 enclosure from walmart. (all i could afford). and it was leaking air at the joints after a few months of pounding. so a few days ago i took it apart and sealed all the joints with liquid nail. after it dried, i mounted the sub and when i turned it up, it didnt leak from the joints. my problem is there is still a little airflow coming from the edges of the sub. its not like whistling or anything, and u cant really notice until u feel for it during heavy bass. is there any of gasket or sumthing to seal it up? the one i have now obviously isnt cutting it. obviously im not gonna seal (with liquid nail) my sub onto the box lol. or should i not worry about it? like i said its only slightly noticeable on very heavy bass.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rope caulk, or closed cell foam tape (both at hardware store)

is there a gasket on the bottom side of ur sub moutning surface or just a metal like ring
Old 01-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

it is a very thin rubberized-foam kind of gasket. i think i'll try the foam stuff first. is it a fairly thick material? the current gasket is almost paper thin.