Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem adding stock CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Problem adding stock CD changer

Here's the scenario: Pioneer CD changer is from a 2002 SS and "working fine" when removed. My car is a 2002 Z28 with Monsoon single-CD head unit. I have verified that the installed ten-pin connector is connected to both the CD changer and the back of the head unit. Stock cartridge is loaded with twelve discs (upside down as instructed) and fully inserted. Each time the ignition is turned "on", the changer makes three wizzing/clicking noises (moving through discs, I assume) and stops. The head unit does not allow me to switch to "AUX" and play the discs in the changer. Also when the door to the changer is open, thee disc cartridge does not eject (so my CDs are stuck in there). Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

EUREKA I have solved it! I took apart the CD changer to look for loose wiring, etc. and peeked at the disc loaded in there. Turns out it was shipped with a disc inside, and I inserted a full disc cartridge, effectively jamming it up. I removed the disc and "extra" holder and now everything seems to be working fine... well almost... the cartridge still will not eject automatically when the door is opened. I might have to rig something up to be able to give it a little "help" from behind or the front. Hopefully someone else can learn from my stupid mistake.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone have pics of the stock mounting points for the changer? I have the OEM mounting brackets, and I thought that the holes would have been predrilled but it looks like I was wrong.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The original brackets came welded to the body from the factory - that's why there's no screw holes.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, I found a real good pic with the part # from a few years back.