Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Static in speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static in speakers

Here's my set up

Head Unit
Pioneer Premier DEH-P490ib with I-Pod adapter in glove box
Front Speakers
Infinity Reference 6020CS
Rear Speakers
Stock Monsoon (factory subs are disconnected)
Sub
MTX Thunderform Subwoofer and Box (10" MTX 4500 sub)
Amp
Sony 4 channel 600watt amp

I've had the head unit for a little over 3 months and no problems. I installed everything else just after Christmas. There is static, very light, in my speakers. I've double checked the grounds, ran rca and power on opposite sides of the car. I don't know what else it could be. If I turn the stereo up loud the "s" and "t" are almost painful. I have to set my high's to a -2 on my stereo to sound right.

Other than the static everything sounds awesome.

Any ideas or suggestions
Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using the Infinity crossovers or did you just not use it and use the factory crossover instead? Your factory crossover could be going bad. Mine did this years ago and that's what it sounded like.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

I used the Infinity Crossovers. They're mounted on the inside of the rear passenger panel. I don't know what else could be causing the static. I may try a different ground location this weekend.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Banned

Did you hook both the tweeter wire and midrange wires to the input of the crossover? If so that is your problem. You can only use one or the other, not both. If this is the case then just use the Infinity crossover for the tweeter and let full range sound go to the midbass.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

This is what I have. RCA cables from Head Unit to Amp. Speaker Cable out of Amp into Infinity Crossover "In". Cable out of "WF" to Midbass and cable out of "TW" to tweeter. Is this not correct. Here's a linkt to the speakers.

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_9319...e+6020CS.html#
Old 01-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Banned

Sorry..you have that correct I didn't see the Sony 4-channel amp...I kept thinking you were still on the Monsoon amp even though it clearly states you aren't.
I would try lightly moving the wires on the amp to see if this makes the static worse. I would also move the RCA's a bit to see if this affects anything as well. Don't shake the heck out of em or anything (lol!!) but move em side to side and see if you get anything. Also check and see if your getting any static from the sub as it wouldn't be as noticeable since it is just bass. If you are it may just be the amp. Overall it sounds like you have a decent system. I'll keep thinking on this one.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

make sure that your RCA's arent running over a ground wire or power wire, i always make sure my wires dont overlap because interference has been known to happen because of this.