Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

electric car starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric car starter

my buddy at work asked me to install his new electric car starter. you know, the one where you just push a button and it starts up while you stay warm inside the house. he was going to get it professionally installed, but the guy wanted a crazy amount of money to do it. the guy told my friend that b/c his car doesnt have power locks and windows it would be harder to install. so, i told him if i could find out how to do it easier i'd do it for alot cheaper. he has a 98 v6 camaro. so i basically want to know what i have to do to install the kit and about how hard it will be.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would find a good shop in your area myself. I had the Viper installed in my T/A and paid $400 total.After the install I looked at the wiring diagrams and how it was installed and its not something I would want to screw around with.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a guy who installs those kits, and there not easy there hours and hours of work thats why places charge so much to install them. So before you think of getting it somewhere eelse or doing it yourself id look into it alot haha
Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

you also have to bypass the security since theese have chips in the key. not a big deal you just have to mesure the resistance and put the correct diode in while doing the r. start. this is a really easy one should only take a professional 1-1.5 hrs somone who has never done it your looking 3-5hrs solder everything.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

ok, so i told him i'm not gonna do it cause i dont want to be responsible for something if anything happens. i'd do it on my car if i had a little more experience, but i dont want to mess other peoples cars up.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its not something I would recommend a amature install. To me its one step above alarms.