Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Added sub - sounds great

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Added sub - sounds great

Hey guys, I just put together a killer bass package for less than $500 bucks, and I wanted to share.
I bought a JL Vantage stealbox enclosure (empty) for $75 bucks off fleabay
I bought a 10" kicker solobaric SQ (old school) for about $100 bucks off fleabay
I bought an old school phoenix gold ZX350 (made in the USA baby) for $150 off the PG phorum
I picked up a 4 gauge wiring kit and accessories from Darvex.com for $100

I did my own professional install, and I must say that it looks badass and seriously pounds. This a killer combo of quality affordable old-school equipment. The amp is class A/B putting out 350watts RMS at 4ohms. The sub pounds so hard, it can barely take it! And I LOVE that JL stealthbox. It's sealed air tight, and I also stuffed it half full with polyfill (per kicker instructions), a trick often overlooked.

I'm still running stock head unit and stock factory speakers, but I've got the bass turned down at the headunit so they dont distort much at all. I'll try and post pics if I remember.

Oh and my Bazooka 6.5" DVC sail-panel subs are on the way from Ian Kee.

WHAT??? CANT HEAR YA!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

putting a L7 with 600 rms in soon on mine... cant wait
Old 04-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. I just bought a 12" MTX in a custom built box. I'm going to run it off a MTX Thunder 600XD. It's 325W @ 4 ohms and 600W @ 2 ohms. Ford and Garland in Des Moines is hooking it up tomorrow morning.

The box is awesome. The guy I bought it from had it built to lock into place and still be able to put the targa top in the back with no issue. He even got the same ebony carpet to match the interior.

Last edited by matsarge; 04-01-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Kicker doesn't make any SQ subs, least of all the Solobarics. Not to say that they will all sound like crap, though. But at least if you had a round one, you'd have an upgrade path.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Kicker doesn't make any SQ subs, least of all the Solobarics. Not to say that they will all sound like crap, though. But at least if you had a round one, you'd have an upgrade path.
That's funny. It's a round kicker solobaric SQ with the seamless dustcap/cone, from back in the 90's. Kicker doesn't make anything now like they used to. It pounds much harder (and cleaner) than most of the trash people are pushing nowadays. Yes, there are better 10"s on the market, but they cost $300+ for each sub.
You just cant beat an old-school solobaric for $100 bucks shipped!