Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Alpine 'in-line' amps

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Alpine 'in-line' amps

Has anyone had the chance to see (or better yet use/install/listen to) the new Alpine amps that install BEFORE the head unit and do not use interlink cables??

These things seem to be the answer to those of us who do not want to; add stupid weight to our rides, have a big, highly visable target for the low life shitbag crackheads who steal this ****, and do not want to rape the interior with all sorts of big guage wiring while having at least decent sound (at least better than just running the speakers off of the aftermarket head unit's power).

These things are SERIOUSLY SMALL ANG LIGHT!!!

Anyone???
Old 04-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Pardon me if I sound stupid but how can you have an amp that goes before the head unit? An amp's function is to take audio signal (CD, radio, or whatever), amplify it, and pass it to the speakers. That audio signal comes from the head unit. That means, by definition, an amp has to go after the head unit. Am I missing something? It's a couple of days too late for an April Fools joke.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

The dealer must have explained it wrong.
I'm guessing (never having seen one, and WHY I'm asking about it) that it taps into the pre out signals somehow, and has connections for the speaker wire (like a regular amp). But it is so small and light that it can be mounted up under the dash, VERY close to the head unit. Thus allowing one to still use the speaker wire that was going into the head unit's amp outputs, saving extensive rewiring/adding long interlinks and weight/exposure/visability.

Unless this dealer was F.O.S.??
Old 04-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I haven't seen those yet but I can see how it would be useful. They probably would be relatively low powered compared to regular amps but might be quite sufficient for a modest system.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

its a link type attachment that you place behind the radio.... Supposed to be extremely small and give you a boost in power output.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Yes. I spoke with a reputable and knowledgeable dealer (as opposed to the riceboyz I first asked about this) and he told me that it does go inline between the head unit's amp SPEAKER outputs and the speakers.
It does not matter what the RMS is from the head unit's amp section, this treats it as if it were a pre amp signal and boosts it to 45 watts RMS.

It is about the size of a cigarette pack and VERY light. Mounts behind the head unit, out of the low life crackheads' sight.

Just the ticket for me.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it's bigger than a cigarette pack, but it's called the KTP-445, and won an award at the 2008 CES show - it's not garbage.

It's made for Alpine head units that use the black power connector on the back on the head unit, supposed to just plug in-line with that.

Pretty neat idea, I'm considering one for my truck.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

It's also 45 watts RMS x4, just to clarify.

Yes, it IS larger than a cancer stick pack, but still light/compact for the power output/sound it produces.

I was told it can be used with other company's aftermarket head units, but IF they are new enough to still be under warranty, installing this amp in line will void the warranty.

The best part is for people who are just going over to an aftermarket head unit (and want an Alpine).
IF they do not need all of the 'bells and whistles' of the higher $$$ Alpine units, and NEVER plan to use a conventional amp and/or sub setup (and therefore do not need multiple pre-out RCAs), they can opt for the lower, less $$$ Alpine head units.
Since this thing will put out 45x4 RMS regardless of whether you start with the 18Wx4 RMS of the higher units, or the 16Wx4 RMS of the lower ones, it makes that chice easier as well. (When you are powering speakers with ONLY the head unit EVERY watt counts!!)