Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alright I guess I'm an idiot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright I guess I'm an idiot.

I've got a blown speaker in my camaro and I plan to upgrade eventually, but for right now I have some sony two way speakers that are 6.5 I'm sure theyre 4 ohm. Questions,

1. How the Fug do I get the little plastic mesh off or do I have to take the damn panel off?

2. Do the factory speakers have 4 wires running to them? If they do Can I just take 2 of them and plug them into the sony? since its a 2way without having a separate speaker?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the black plastic mesh grille is plastic-welded to the rest of the door panel, they don't just snap out....you will need to remove the entire door panel to get to them without taking a chance of tearing something up.

as for the number of wires going to the front door speakers, i'm not positive on that.....i replaced mine over 3 years ago and haven't been back in there since.....and i replaced it with new wires coming from my aftermarket amp, so it only has one pair of wires per door on my car.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

aalright, well I see that they are sorta welded together, if I cut that they will still stay in there using the side clips, will I still be able to get the speaker out of there, Not trying to hack job it but this is just a temporary fix.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Launching!

It would probably be a very tight fit to get the speaker out. I don't expect you to be able to do it. I would just take the panel off. After you take it off once, you can do it within 10 minutes off and on next time.

The hardest part is getting the panel that surrounds the handle back on. It can be a pain.

As far as the wiring goes... you have 4 wires going to the speakers. 2 to the main woofers, and 2 to the tweeter. IDK if you can just run the postivies together and just run the negatives together. I assume you might be able to... but if you run just two, you'll lose frequencies
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

I've heard the panel is a mother to take off lol thats the only reason I thought about trying to get around it.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Launching!

It's not hard really. You have I think 5 screws total. Everything else kind of snaps together. There's also a trick I found out for getting the panel off the door. After you have everything around the handle taken off, and the arm rest off, you lift up on the part that wraps around the top. Once you have that taken off, you lift up and out on the panel. Comes right off.

I'm only good at it because I've taken (adding driver and passenger sides up).. the panels off probably 8 times already, just because I used the wrong screws. I have to take the driver side off again to find a rattle that I missed when I was installing my stereo
Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

very easy install and if you have an aftermarket head unit i would just run the wires from the back of it directly to the door speakers.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSuzuki
I've heard the panel is a mother to take off lol thats the only reason I thought about trying to get around it.
Its alot easier to take the door panel off than trying to take the mesh grille out w/o breaking them.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Right on well sounds like I just need to deal with it for awhile and save up to do a whole install on everything.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The camaro front speakers do have 4 wires to them, one pair to the woofer, and the other to the tweeter that is glued to the woofer. I belive the tweeter is 4 ohm, and the woofer is 2 ohm. You can click on my sig and see a picture of a seperate tweeter from the woofer front speaker. I wouldn't recommend connecting those four wires together. I replaced my front stock speakers with componets and when i chose one pair of wires i noticed that the one wires from the woofer would give more sound then the one pair of wires from the tweeters, or the other way around, i dont' acuaretly recall but you will see what im talking about once you connect one of the pair of wires to your speakers.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Banned

^^^ That is correct as far as having 4 wires to the one stock coaxial. In order to hook the speakers up correctly on a Camaro and using a conventional coaxial speaker the tweeter wires must be exposed and accessable. There are several speakers on the market that have this. I carry several as well that work well with the Camaro.
For proper installation you must cut the tweeter wires on your new speaker and attach them to the stock tweeter wires seperatley from the midbass portion. Basically wiring is done like a component, seperate midbass and seperate tweeter. If your tweeter wires are not accessable ie: they run inside the speaker vs. outside through the back of the magnet then you can't wire them correctly to get there full benefit.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if you cut the grill loose, it'll rattle.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

I didnt cut the grill, I removed the door panel it wasnt bad the only bad part was the dang lock mech. I didnt know how to take that off so I had to fanagle the whole handle window lock area through the smaller hole, how do you take that mo fo out?