Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No lights on HVAC controls?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No lights on HVAC controls?

Noticed the other night that my hvac controls on my 00 trans am are no longer lighting up so I can't see them at night to adjust the a/c or heat. Any suggestions where to look? Any fuse? A bulb somewhere? Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject... ok, sorry for the bad pun... :-)
Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I believe the cluster and HVAC operate on the same fuse so if the cluster is working, it's probably burnt bulbs in your HVAC. The bulbs are #73/74
Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Any advice on how to get at those bulbs? Just any heads up of what to do, and how not to break any fancy plastic pieces.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's easy...just pull off the trim bezel as though you were taking out the radio. You'll see the HVAC controls are held in place by two hex-head screws (7mm socket) - remove the screws and you'll be able to pull the controls out far enough to get at the bulb sockets on the back.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so I FINALLY got around to trying to fix my bulbs. I got the cover off and HVAC pulled out slightly, but I can't for the life of me see where the bulbs are or where to replace them. I see two black pieces connected with yellow and gray wires, but after pulling the little gray clip on those, thats as far as I got. I can't seem to pull any bulb out or anything from those and don't want to break anything.

EDIT: I found the bulbs; for anyone else doing this, you turn the black plastic holders connected to the yellow/grey wires a quarter turn and they come out. One those are out, I was able to pry out one of the bulbs using blue shop towel and regular pliars. The other bulb broke but I was fortunate enough to pull it out by pulling on the metal filament. Good luck to anyone else replacing these. :-)

Last edited by tcossair; 11-16-2008 at 07:05 PM.