Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adding Amp to Factory Monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Adding Amp to Factory Monsoon system

If I use a line level converter and tap off the input wires to the monsoon amp to send a signal to the new amp, and then a new power wire from the battery, where do I run the leed wire? or how does the amp turn on/off when the head unit is turned on/off? I'd rather not have to run another wire from the front to the back of the car.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your source unit lower the antenna when you switch from radio to CD? If not then you could use the hot wire on the antenna to splice into and use for remote turn on. The problem with that becomes some radios turn the antenna off when the radio is switched to CD or other input functions. This turns the amp off also since it is using that as a remote turn on/off.
Otherwise you'll have to run to the back of the radio because the Monsoon amp is turned on by sensing incoming signal from the output of the radio.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Thats a good question, I'll have to check that after work today unless someone can tell me if the antenna is up all the time or not on a 2001 TransAm.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's up all the time on a stock Monsoon system so your good there. IF you ever go aftermarket and you install a new deck that does turn the antenna off, keep that in mind.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

cool thanks