Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering wheel Control In depth Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Steering wheel Control In depth Q

My factory controls never worked with my original steering wheel, never knew why, they just never did. Well I recently swapped to a 2001 Steering wheel and hooked every thing up. I ended up finding my original 93 radio swapped it in to see if the radio controls would work, I currently have a Pioneer head unit. To my surprise the steering wheel controls actually worked, how ever if you push the volume bottom, it either raises the volume or switches bands. I imagine this has to be because the the 93 steering wheel control used a different design in their lay out then the 95+ cars. The plug that goes to the head unit is also different, as the plug from the 93 harness wont work on a Monsoon head unit that I tried. I'm thinking of picking up one of those Pac SWI-X units, from what I read it's applicable to my year vehicle. How ever due to the newer wheel and older connector, is there going to be an issue? I'm thinking the only reason it didn't work right with the 93 HU is that the design of the controls are different, but that fact it did do some thing gives me hope.

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 08-12-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The PAC SWI-X is a universal (well, almost universal) adapter that works with most head units that have an IR remote. Check if your Pioneer HU has wired remote capability because you'll get better response using the SWI-PS which is designed to plug directly into the wired remote port on Pioneer and Sony head units.

The harness plug in a 93 should be the same as any later model unless your 93 had the Bose system (which raises other questions anyway). GM used the same harness from 88 through 02.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The PAC SWI-X is a universal (well, almost universal) adapter that works with most head units that have an IR remote. Check if your Pioneer HU has wired remote capability because you'll get better response using the SWI-PS which is designed to plug directly into the wired remote port on Pioneer and Sony head units.

The harness plug in a 93 should be the same as any later model unless your 93 had the Bose system (which raises other questions anyway). GM used the same harness from 88 through 02.
Think the Bose system only pertained to Camaro models, my car had a generic 10 speaker system from the factory. The main harness for the radio is the same agreed, I was speaking of the actual single wire plug that works for the steering wheel controls, hoping that wont have any effect. I'll go with SWI-PS and see how it goes.