Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can someone PLEASE help me here!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can someone PLEASE help me here!!!???

Omg I feel like i'm losing my mind here. All I want to do is connect the ipod adapter to the back of my headunit(monsoon) into the cd changer port. However, when I check the product out I have come back with a little confusion. When I punch in my year/make/model of car and select the "monsoon" option in order to obtain the correct adapter (adapter which connects onto the back of HU in the slot for the ch/changer) to hook up my ipod...I get a WARNING msg stating that "head unit must have AUX or SOURCE button in order for this ipod module to work!!!???

So now i'm lost, since mine does not appear to have aux or source button on it. Apparently many of the monsoons have the cd/changer adapter but not ALWAYS the ability to control one (ie: aux/source button). After 2000 though, apparently all monsoons had the ability to control the changer. Mine is a 2001 with NO button. So is this module for my HU or not! This issue has been making me sick lol.

Any help would be so much appreciated. THE MAIN QUESTION: Can I use the Ipod adapter with my monsoon system by connecting to the cd/changer port. If so, HOW will I controll it, what button will I push on my HU to switch over to control the IPOD. Maybe cd/play button???

This is where I found the adapter.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...120&tab=review

Please.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Damn, for that much money you might as well buy a new head unit with an IPOD cable already attached. Do a search, I remember reading a thread where you can add an AUX port to the CD player audio output wires of the monsoon head unit. Basically when you plug in your IPOD to the AUX port (through the headphone plug) and play a dummy CD in the CD player it will take the audio from the IPOD. I have an alpine CDA-9884 head unit with an IPOD cable and I love it, matches the Camaro and Trans Am interiors nicely. It cost me about 190 shipped with a Metra adapter, wiring harness, and antenna adapter.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Camaros have a "CD/Aux" button but Firebirds have a "CD/Play" button that does the same thing. When you have the adapter plugged into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit, you will press CD/Play once to switch from radio to the internal CD player and a second time to switch to the iPod. The head unit treats the iPod as though it's an external CD changer. There is no need to have a CD in the internal drive - if you don't, the first press of the CD/Play button will switch from radio directly to the iPod.

Those adapters are compatible with any head unit that is capable of controlling a factory external CD changer. That includes all cassette head units and 2000-2002 CD head units.

BTW, in future, there is no need to start a second thread on the same subject.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:16 AM

Thumbs up Success! I have an audio jack for my stock radio.

I am not an electronics wizard. I did not even know how to solder before doing this project. On my first attempt I melted a part of the jack while attempting to solder the wires to the pins. In the end, I was able to successfully add an auxiliary jack to the stock radio in my 1999 Firehawk. When I purchased this car it was all stock and I wanted to keep it that way. However, I did not know if I could live without having access to Bluetooth. This was my motivation for the project. I would not have been able to complete it without the information from the users on this forum. I wanted to add a few tips which I learned while working on this project. First, the audio jack needs to be the 3.5mm 1/8 Inch Female Stereo TRS Balanced Socket with Switch. I purchased it from Amazon and this jack has five pins. Do not get a normal three pin jack, it won't switch between the CD player and the auxiliary jack. Also, leave some extra length for your connections from the jack. I used about 11 to 12 inches and I am so glad I did. I was planning on adding the jack directly to the the radio just to the right of the equalizer sliders. Unfortunately, after removing the numerous 3mm screws which attached the circuit board to the face of the stereo, I was unable to separate the right side of the face and the circuit board so I could not access this space. I had come too far to risk damaging the stereo by prying it apart. I decided to mount the jack on the right side of the bezel closer to the temperature controls. I was concerned about having enough room, but the jack fit. I drilled a 15/64" hole in the bezel, but after placing the port of the jack through the hole there weren't enough threads for the chintzy locking ring to securely hold the jack in place. I tried sanding away some of the plastic on the back side of the bezel, but that didn't work. I ended up spreading JB Weld around the body of the jack and that did the trick. I also placed a small amount of JB Weld on the connections to the jack to help secure them and keep them from breaking over time.

This diagram is correct. There was one post claiming that 4 and 5 needed to be switched. I followed this diagram and it worked perfectly.

Spelling was not this sources strong suit, but the instructions are correct.

I plugged in an audio cord and cut the other end in order to check the connections.

I used 26AWG wire. This wire is so frail that it will fall apart under the friction of a screw. I placed the ground wire between two panels of the radio chassis and then tightened the screws to that part of the chassis in order to ground the jack.

I also used the audio cable plug to hold the jack while soldering it.

I added more JB Weld after this photo. It's the only way to be sure...

The finished product.

Quick Reply: Can someone PLEASE help me here!!!???