Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

changing the alarm LED

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing the alarm LED

tried searching for this... didn't find QUITE the answer i was lookin for, so i'll out and ask it.

The factory Alarm LED in the center of the dash... what would be required if i were to change it with a different color LED. Specifically... i've looked at the GM schematics and cannot find if/where there is an in line resistor to the circuit: This makes me believe that the voltage is regulated from the BCM. This creates a problem in my eyes.

for instance... most RED led's range in the 1.8 to 2.1 voltage range. Changing to a BLUE led requires a voltage range of 3.0 to 3.5v. My worry is that i would be pulling too much voltage if the power is supplied by the BCM, and that i would cause an internal failure in the BCM. Going the route of wiring a relay would be kind of redundant- the relay probably would suck more juice than the LED would, and a relay working that much going off/on all the time would be bound to crap out after a short period of time.

so, what is the approximate MCD rating of the oem alarm LED, or is there a way to check resistance on an led? I know with a regular incandescent bulb, you cannot check resistance with the bulb off, due to the way the bulb works being dependent on a specific input voltage to output the proper light. Do LED's work differently, that i could put a Fluke meter on the positive/negative leads to check resistance, then run over the radio shack and find one that had the same resistance (precise to at least .0X volts)?

would that be key, to find possibly a lower MCD output Blue LED that would work?

any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

you can go some where like advance and buy a different color most security systms cary 5 volts to the led it just unplgs once you remove the dash panel if you are in the south i would take great

care when removing that panel the get very britle and breke so easy
Old 09-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Teching In

i suppose i can just hook the voltmeter to it and watch what the voltage is when it is supposed to be blinking... that would be a start.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Teching In

well, to give an update-- voltmeter shows in the area of 3.9xxx volts when pulsing (both in active alarm, and in unlocked/door open). The LED i ended up getting was well within those specifications, and had an output of 300mcd. The factory LED has just the slightest of gaps between the actual "bulb" and the holder for it, so i was able to remove the bulb leaving some of the leads sticking out.

Trimmed the leads flush, then stuck the Blue LED bulb leads down in the holes for each side, and spot soldered to the terminals in the base where the oem led was soldered. put some di-electric grease to prevent corrosion, and plugged the connector in. Immediately was working, and the volt meter showed the voltage drop was below 4.0 volts, so it is safe.

put it all back together, looks good. Its a clear bulb, and is pretty bright at nighttime. I might consider getting a higher output MCD bulb, then covering it with a translucent blue gel cover or something... because it is pretty bright as it is right now, but the viewing angle of the bulb i got isn't the best. So using something to diffuse the light to resemble the original bulb style would probably work the best. Other than that.... no problems what so ever.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention- when people tell you to take warning about the sharp/rouch edges of the upper dash trim, please do. I slashed my thumb open pretty good. LOL