Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Autometer Wideband.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer Wideband.

I just installed my Autometer Widemband in my 1997 TA. I hooked the Red power wire up to the same fused power source as all my other Autometer ES gauges. But when the car is off, The wideband gauge stays on trying to find a read out. I have not installed the sensor yet so that remains unplugged. I was wondering if that could be the problem. When the ignition is off none of my other gauges are on. Just the Wideband. And before someone says it, I did search
Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

What "fused power source" did you use? It must be a battery (constant) source rather than an ignition controlled (switched) source.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What "fused power source" did you use? It must be a battery (constant) source rather than an ignition controlled (switched) source.

Non Constant, It is my Understanding that if it was a constant power source. The other gauges would remain on also. Ill mess around with it today and see what I find out. But if that is the case, whats a good ignition controlled power source?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Non Constant, It is my Understanding that if it was a constant power source. The other gauges would remain on also. Ill mess around with it today and see what I find out. But if that is the case, whats a good ignition controlled power source?
Not necessarily - the other gauges may shut off when no signal is present despite having constant power at the gauge itself. On the other hand, the new gauge could not stay on unless it did have constant power.

I suspect that if you change your power source from constant to switched, the problem will go away.

The best source of ignition switched power is the IGN port in the dash fuse panel. It's a 15-amp ignition switched circuit that GM intended for adding electrical accessories.