Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

bad bcm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad bcm?

i have a 01 trans am. i came home from vacation and tried to start it but it wouldnt start. it cranks but nothin else. there is no spark or fuel. everything else seems to work fine, but the gages dont. and my friend tried to scan the computer but it said it was unable to communicate. he thinks its the body control module. he removed it and it was kinda hot. we didnt take the bcm apart yet, but does anyone know if this is right? or is there another problem we should check?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It's not the BCM. The BCM only affects starting as part of the VATS system. It disables the starter relay and turns on the security light on the dash when the wrong ignition key is used. Since you're not having trouble with the starter and you didn't mention the security light, it's safe to assume that the VATS system (and the BCM) isn't the source of your problem.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

i dont think its the bcm either. the bcm controls accessory functions such as the windows, keyless entry, radio, etc.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Teching In

thanks. do u have any idea what we should look at next? the car was fine before i went on vacation.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

ive had the wires in my vats system break causing my car not to start randomly. I tried to pop the clutch to start it but would get killed immediately so I would suggest that as something to look at.

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

Other than that, I have no idea.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Teching In

ok, when ur car wouldnt start would it make any noise or just be silent? thats what worries me when i had a problem w the vats before i would turn the key and it would just do nothing, got a new key and it was fine. but now its cranking. but if theres no spark or fuel it seems like is has to be something w the vats right?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by robTA
but if theres no spark or fuel it seems like is has to be something w the vats right?
No...because the VATS system controls the starter relay. It has nothing at all to do with spark. It does have a fuel enable signal that it sends to the PCM but that is part of the same circuit that enables/disables the starter. So, if the starter is working and the security light on the dash isn't illuminated, then it's extremely unlikely that the VATS/BCM is causing the problem.

Besides, there are literally dozens of reasons that the engine might not be getting spark or fuel - none of which have anything to do with the BCM. Your first step is to determine if the problem is spark or fuel (or something else). Then track down why. For example, there are fuses for the ignition, PCM, fuel injection, and engine control as well as relays for the fuel pump and ignition in junction block #2 under the hood. Have you checked those?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Teching In

ya my friend checked all the fuses in the car and under the hood he said they were all good.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Teching In

i guess we'll double check everything. we switched the starter relay w the one next to it and it didnt work, but isnt it possible theyre both bad?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well, they're probably both good since you said that the starter works (that's what the starter relay controls). Try switching the A/C relay with the fuel pump relay to see if that solves any fuel supply problem.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Teching In

i called speed inc, in schaumburg il. thats who did the cam and the other work on the car. he said he thought it was prob the computer. he said to swap it out w one from my friends cars and see if it works, if it does i need to get a new one and have it dyno tuned again. does that sound right to u? it kinda makes sense to me cuz the comp wont communicate. im not any kind of mechanic or anything but im assuming a mechanic can swap a comp pretty easily?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is easy to remove and reinstall. You'll find it under the hood attached to the right fenderwell just in front of the firewall. It is easier to remove the PCM along with its bracket than to try to wiggle it out of the bracket while it's in the car. Use a 10mm socket to remove the two bolts holding the bracket, unplug the two large plugs, and pull it out.

Do this only for testing purposes and if you have a friend with an f-body similar enough to lend it to you. They differ by engine, transmission, rear axle ratio, and of course model year. 01 and 02 use the same PCM and 99-00 models should work well enough for just test starting the car.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Teching In

cool thanks my friend has a 2000, im gonna call my friend who has the car right now and let him know