Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Finally fixin my speakers need help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally fixin my speakers need help PLEASE

OK I have never done anything with speakers before so i need help. I just bought these http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166234894507 to replace the back seat speakers and when i took the old speakers out they arent the same. On the Old speakers there are 2 sets of wires conected to 4 metal prongs(I dont know what to call them). And on the new speakers there are only 2 prongs. I bought those thinking the original speakers are 2 Ohm but on the back of the speakers it says 4 Ohm. Did I buy the right speakers.

Please Help
Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

If its in a firebird, its a dual 4 ohm speaker, which presents the 2 ohm load. There are two voice coils that each recieve power from the amplifier. Just select one of the positive/negative pairs and use that to power your new speakers. Your not gonna get the same sound, though. Those infinities are 2 ways and the factory set up is for only midbass, so you will not hear the tweeters. If i were you, i would return them and pick up either kicker cvt 6.5's, bazooka's 6.5's, or the ED 7 inch subs.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Ya i was gonna return them tomorrow. So use the old wiring harness and just sodder it on to the new speakers. And for the new speakers what specs am i lookin for. I know 6.5in but how many ohms, 2-way, 3-way? And if you could can you give me some links please?
Old 09-29-2008, 02:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the correct 6.5" DVC subwoofer for the Firebird Monsoon sails in stock right now but supplies are extremely limited right now. I have a bunch on back order but for now I only have a couple of pairs left. Prices start at $88.00 per pair shipped for the Audiopipe subs and are $119.00 per pair shipped for the Bazooka 6.5" DVC subs. These willmatch up with your stock connector and make full use of your stock amp.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
If its in a firebird, its a dual 4 ohm speaker, which presents the 2 ohm load. There are two voice coils that each recieve power from the amplifier.
Not exactly...yes there are two 4-ohm voice coils on each speaker but they aren't wired in parallel (to provide a 2-ohm load) - they are individually powered off separate channels of the amp. So, aside from not getting full range signal for the coaxial speakers, using only one connection also cuts power in half.