Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problems

Hi I am the second owner of a 98 T/A. The problem is that within a couple days of changing the fuse, it blows for my gauges/raio to light up at night. So, if i turn on my headlights, the (stock) radio goes out (it is on when the headlights are off) and my gauges don't light up. However, the high beam light still comes on when they are on and my steering wheel controls light up. The air conditioning switches don't light either.

I assume this is a grounding problem but is it fairly common? And how and where would I look for the problem? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Launching!

I had a similar problem, I had recently taken off and put back on the rear bumper and all of the sudden i was blowing fuses and having no interior lights. So i figured it must be something near where i had worked, sure enough, there was a small cut in the license plate illuminater wires, they were touching causing it to blow the fuse. Don't know if this helps, but if you have recently taken a panel off, etc. I'd say pull it off again and examine the wires closely!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ yeah, the problem is i've had this problem since I bought the car in january. so, im not sure what the problem could be. the car has never been in an accident, all panels seem factory, and the only mod that i can tell it had was a lid. radio and speakers and all are factory too. im afraid im going to have to take everything apart to find the problem. all interior bulbs work but maybe i should open them all and see if anything looks strange like if the bulb wasn't replaced right, i have heard of this problem after someone replaced the dome light bulb. that's not good though knowing it could be at any part of the car, that really sucks.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Launching!

yea, it's definitely a pain in the rear finding electrical problems...best of luck to you!