Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

3 way run: '10 Mustang, '04 modded GTO, my '05 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3 way run: '10 Mustang, '04 modded GTO, my '05 GTO

Edit: This is a repost of my original post on LS1GTO.com. My brother (IROCDave) told me this place has a bunch of Seattle area guys that might know who the '04 GTO driver was. Would love to know his mods!

Definitely not MMOB coming home on I5 in moderate traffic, following and trying to "convince" a last gen M3 with huge rear tires to run when we both pass a 2004 GTO with an aftermarket rear diffuser and '05-06 dual exhaust tips running what has to be a Loudmouth I and SLP header exhaust system.

He spots the M3 next to him and proceeds to try and instigate him also, then spots me on the other side of the M3 and hears me rev it and a huge grin splits his face! Went three abreast but no dice, the M3 driver was intimidation killed back into nerdom (dead serious: a pocket protector. Seriously). So me and the other goat did a quick run, just playing because there wasnt enough room to run our beasts properly (luckily the guy in the '04 thought the same way I did). We then bobbed and weaved our way through 5 more miles of normal traffic, coming up on a really nice looking blacked out 2010 Mustang GT with aftermarket rims and huge rotors with red brake calipers and SS lines literally just after traffic starts clearing up.

I pass him first, realize its a 2010 GT and drop back even with the '04 GTO in the fast lane and yell "It's a oh' ten GT! He's all yours!" I fall back. The '04 takes my spot and procedes to throw a few revs at him to draw him out of his crowded R/H grandma lane into the other two emptier lanes. No dice again, he stays in his grandma lane with no exits for 3 miles... F* it, I hop into the left General Purpose lane and the '04 into the middle lane, we again drop down to 40mph and let the 2 cars in our way get a good lead. Once again we yell to each other about the 'stang and traffic but waste another opportunity to communicate mods... Just as I'm ready to go, I see his eyes get wider and he nods behind me: the 2010 GT is in the carpool lane to my left, decelling to match our speed! It was louder than the full SLP header/Loudmouth I exhaust GTO next too me!

Now lined up with a SEG on my face, I look over to my right to see a SEG on the 04 drivers face and then I nod at him, then forward, and we both launch! The GT gets on it a split second later than us (my bad, should have honked it off), but only talking a couple feet difference: I'm matched with the M6 '04 for a few agonizing seconds until I get to around 5500rpm and slowly start to pull. by most of the way through 3rd gear I've got maybe 2 cars of space between me and the mustangs front bumper, a bit less on the GTO, and I have to brake hard for traffic. They could have been tied with each other, not sure because of crappy "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" passenger mirror.

The stang sailed ahead in his carpool lane a bit, then dropped back to us. His tinted window drops down adjacent to me, revealing a shift light and aftermarket gauges on the dash, and no passenger! The driver is grinning and trying to talk to me, but we are doing 70mph and it just doesnt work. We both shrug and our windows go up. Damn I wish there was an exit there for us to pull off on!! Instead, both of them turned off at the I405 interchange and were gone- Leaving me to wonder if I should have chased them into the worst traffic area of the state... aww, on second thought f* that. lol

Conclusion: I finally found my answer to the "how fast is an LS1 GTO?" question: he had at a minimum headers over me but I had a vavaram and weighed at least 150lbs more than him so... they are behind the LS2 GTO's by at least a couple tenths. And that Mustang had more than just a muffler done too it! I can't say he had headers, I never heard the distinct long tube header sound, but come to think of it Mac and other 3/4 headers never had that sound: it emanates from the collector area which they basically dont have. Oh well, it was a beautiful Mustang: something I would drive if.... well, if it fell off a semi truck transporter and the pink slip and keys were in the glove box.... lol
Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big is the aftermarket for the 2010 mustangs already? O.o

But good race! Sounds like fun.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first 2010 Mustang GT I raced was 4 months ago, they just came out up here. This guy makes the fourth 2010 GT I've gone against, and by far the closest race. The two brand new stickers in window GT's I raced (two days apart, 4 months ago lol) both went down pretty hard from freeway roll races. It would have only been worse from a launch unless they had upgraded there tires AND knew how to launch.

I ran a GT500KR a few months ago through a long 6 lane intersection before we both let up: we were dead even, and he didnt spin or bog it. The funny part was we were the only cars there (EARLY morning) and we were going opposite directions! I was laughing so hard as we passed each other WOT at the middle of the intersection that I was glad I had an auto tranny. lol