Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

00 SS vs STI

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 SS vs STI

On my way home from a friends house, and almost home when I end up at a light. Just as the light is about to turn green I see a fairly clean STI (not one of the new ones) pull up at the light to my right, and hang a right onto my street just about the time my light turned green. I start to speed up to see if I can get a run. But as I try to get along side he just keeps speeding up,so i'm still 1-1.5 cars back and I figure if hes not gonna let me get along side for a side by side start i'll take the hit from back here.

I nail it in 2nd doing about 35-40 which wasn't a great place to start in hindsight but oh well as luck would have it I wouldn't need to regret that move. He hit it when he heard me nail it. All through second he stayed about a car out, but when I hit third it was like he threw it in reverse. I made up all the ground and was hitting fourth about the time my door was at his fender, then put another couple cars on him for good measure. Guy was cool enough not to do the ricer flyby and gave me the hookem horns instead of the thumbs up... Anyway i'm not sure what all was done because we never caught a light after that, but it looked like exhaust at least. It was certainly a good way to start my day.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought everyone threw up the horns in TX lol
Old 10-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cyris0014
I thought everyone threw up the horns in TX lol
Yea we all ride horses and have cattle too. (and yes i've honestly been asked those questions)
Old 10-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Yea we all ride horses and have cattle too. (and yes i've honestly been asked those questions)

your dd isn't a cow, ha sucks to be you i get great MPG!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tex7387
HaHaHaHa wow nice . What kinda times do you run?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Never taken it to the track. Up until a few months ago it was my dd, so I couldn't afford to break it(still a broke college student ) . My father is finally finishing up his chevelle and he is wanting to go to the track so hopefully i'll have some times by the end of this month.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

You shouldnt break anything since youve got a 9". Should be in the mid 12s at least with just your bolt ons and rear and depending on your driving skills. IDk what kind of DA youve got in TX but the da gets below 2000 feet here in new jersey. I would just be carefull with that ls7 clutch holding on the launch. Do you get to drive the chevelle?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Launching!

the ls7 clutches hold nice at least mine did, held fine with cam 243 heads, and full exhaust, i was practicing all different launch rpms never had a problem unless i slid the clutch too much on the launch
Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cyris0014
You shouldnt break anything since youve got a 9". Should be in the mid 12s at least with just your bolt ons and rear and depending on your driving skills. IDk what kind of DA youve got in TX but the da gets below 2000 feet here in new jersey. I would just be carefull with that ls7 clutch holding on the launch. Do you get to drive the chevelle?
The rearend is the least of my concern(really wanted H/C with that money but I knew the rearend was a better choice in the long run), and I doubt I would break anything either but im a firm believer in murphy's law, especially concerning cars. My fathers chevelle has been a prime example. I certainly hope to be around mid 12's, and its going under the knife soon for a H/C setup. As far as the chevelle, ive driven it once or twice Its a blast. 468 BB, 3800 stall, 4:10 gears.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the jester 812
the ls7 clutches hold nice at least mine did, held fine with cam 243 heads, and full exhaust, i was practicing all different launch rpms never had a problem unless i slid the clutch too much on the launch
My friend had one in his 2000 ws6 and quite a few people told him before he did it that it was too weak to launch at the track. It heats up quick and warps. Idk i havent had any personal experience with launching one