Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

05+ mustang kill

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05+ mustang kill

I was sitting at a light a month ago when i noticed this 05+ mustang across from me at the light. The light turned green for his lane to go. As he crossed in front of me he was staring at me then went wide open throttle through the rest of intersection. I hoped i would run into him one day.

Well, today was the day. I got behind him on a two lane highway. Im not sure what mods. he had. I could only tell he had some kind of aftermarket mufflers. He had a five speed as well. When it switched into a 4 lane he gunned it. He got all sideways and took off. I wanted him to stay there so we could run. I wasn't going to play catch the mustang so i pursued normally. When i came over the hill he was waiting on me and the next light to turn red. Luck should have it that it did.

I pulled beside him. He looked over and i gave him the "lets rum em finger". He nodded. I never get to race anyone due to my six mile trip to work everyday. I thought my car would hook a little bit better then it did. Brand new 275 Nitto 555's. I staged up the car a little and floored it on green. I spun almost all of first. The nose of his car in my window. I let out of it a little bit, it caught traction, and then shifted back into first. When my car downshifted and hooked i jumped about a half car and started pulling him into my rear view mirror. Thats when i let off the throttle. He passed by me without a ricer flyby nor a look and made a u-turn in front of me.

I didnt think i was going to fair as well as i did. If i hadnt spun most of first it would have been really bad for him. As soon as i hooked i was pulling good on him. Im pretty sure he was spinning too though. I couldnt hear anything but true duals.

00 B4C. A4. Lid, Bellows, LT's, True duals,pcmforless tune, lca relocation brackets, 275/35/r18 Nitto 555's
Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good first kill I guess. Sounds like you let up way too early: why not put a few car lengths on him next time? 0-100 should do it.

Also: driver mod. Get your *** out on an empty road and look like an idiot coming to a stop and practicing STREET launching on different surfaces-- even in the rain, its all 'catalog' info for you to use if and when your next impromptu race comes up. There is NO excuse for not doing the little things like learning how much traction your car will have in a given situation... It's called Experience, get as much as you can, as fast as you can, because one day it might just save your life... and on numerous other days it will give you a win your car probably didnt deserve!

Yes, you will feel like an idiot when you come to a dead stop infront of some random apartment building/ business park/ house in the country to do your practice launches. Don't worry about it, the serious guys have all been there and done that. And every single gear head who witness's your random practice launches will nod his head in agreement that its a wise thing to practice. Just let up after the 1-2 shift! People wont call the cops if you are practicing 0-40mph, but they will if you rap 2nd out a few times. Just practice your launch only: take off as WOT as you can, learn exactly what it FEELS like when the tires are just barely spinning-- with a posi one tire will break lose first, you can FEEL it as it starts to break lose. HOLD THE TORQUE LEVEL RIGHT THERE for as long as possible! If it means letting up a bit as the engine comes up on cam faster than the car gets additional traction from the increasing mph, then do it. FEEL that edge of traction spin and learn to love that feeling! When track guys say "you want your tires spinning just barely through the 60' marker" they are referring to what I'm talking about. Once you learn the FEEL you will be able to dial in just a bit more to the point where both tires are just starting to 'Grip-n-Release, Grip-n-Release' which under certain conditions will give off a Ripping sound--- almost like the tires are tearing up and throwing chunks of asphault. A badass sound that is nirvana for dig race junkies.

sorry about the runon paragraph but I have to go **** real bad and the bathrooms are both full..... oh wait, an empty Fosters can...BRB

EDIT: when I say "tire spinning" I am NOT referring to audible or visual tire spinning cues. If you see smoke or drift sideways you are way past what I mean. It's simply when the direct connection between each engine pulse and the resultant thrust pulse gets out of sync or unnaturally smooths out. It's hard for some to understand, some instinctively get it with the rest inbetween. I instinctively understood and felt it so its kinda hard to explain to some people. Just keep feeling for it and you will get it.

One thing that is repeated at every trackday across the nation: most of the guys will swear that the run they got the best time on was not there fastest run before they get check there days timeslips... and when they think they got a great run with solid traction etc... it usually is not a fast run. The faster the cars get and the better more experienced the drivers are they start to catch on to exactly what IS a fast 60' versus what SEEMS a fast 60'. For most guys, my Golden Rule applies: always use less throttle than you think your car can handle in a race. Adrenaline and the time slow down affect of a good race will most times make you grab for more traction than you got. When that happens as it inevitably will? Well, manual trans and manual valve body auto's have the built in advantage of not upshifting until you want it too. They can let up and get right back on it quickly. In a normal auto like yours and mine we will have to settle for reducing throttle no more than a fraction and just riding it out until you are at a speed where you can let it upshift without either bogging and downshifting again (like what happened to you) or being stuck in second at a too low rpm. It's always a crap shoot on the street,,, a crap shoot where normally you only get one shot at getting it right or getting owned. Even if you got enough power to catch back up and pass them anyways- yes, its still a 'win', but it's more of a 'phew I pulled it off anyways' versus a 'I just SPANKED that guy!'.

If you're gonna risk your life and license, take away as much chance for error as you can. Practice Practice Practice!

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 11-12-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

i would have loved to put more cars on the guy. We were just in a 45 speed zone. Motorcycle cops like to frequent the area.
Thanks for the launching information. Your right, i need to start practicing my launching. But, like you said, i dont really want to look like a jackass launching for no reason in traffic. I drive my car daily. I dont really like to play with it too much in fear that i will break something. Thats the main reason why i havent practiced launching. I have practiced a little bit since i got the new tires. Getting traction with the old Riken raptors was a joke so i never bothered.
Those few practice launches went right out the window when i actually caught a light with a worthy opponent. My pulse was through the roof. Actually that was my second dig race in that car. I didnt get traction on the first one either. Ended up loosing to a a4 lt1 with like 200k on it. Then again i had those shitty tires would sometimes make things really hairy at the second gear shift. Ive had the car for like 3 years now. Had a few roll races. No one ever wants to play in this town.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

nice killllll!
Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Launching!

sweet kill man