Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 SS vs 05+ Stang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 SS vs 05+ Stang GT

05+ Stang GT: CAI & Diablo Sport Tuner aka "the infamous CHIP". He said it has an exhaust system but it sounds stock to me but that's his deal lol

02 SS: My mods are in my sig.

Short Story: My friend buys this Stang Gt about a month ago, quickly put on his mods and tells me at work "ill race you". So im like, sure okk. What's your car got, he tells me then i tell him my mods. He asks for hp #'s, i dont have any then he asks what it had stock. I tell him around the 310 to 325hp range (i doubt it put down the 345hp slp package). He then says he's got around the same hp#'s that i had stock but he's still down to race. So saturday night, we end up going out to race...

1st Run: Dig run, we line em up and i stall it up for a few seconds and then begin honking. Once i hit the 3rd honk, i nail it and i instantly get the car length ahead and keep pulling till i see nothing but headlights in my rear view fading away. I shut it down at 120 and we all know its hard to tell just how far behind a car is but i would say i was ahead 3 to 4 car lengths. He had a late reaction time but it didnt matter.

2nd Run: 30 Roll, we get em lined up and i honk it off again and we hit it. He jumps ahead a car length on me (Manual Stang Gt) and im playing catch up for a few seconds and i start pulling him in easily and fly right by him and put another 3 cars on him.

3rd Run: He wanted 1 more Dig run, so we line em up again. I do the same and this time. He has a better reaction time on takeoff but i still pull ahead of him easily and continue to put car lengths on him (maybe another 3 cars) by the time i shut it down @ around 90mph. Running out of straight road.

End Notes:Hard to tell just how far ahead i was in all the races but he wasnt close. Now i knew the roll race would be like that since i just left it in drive and kept it under 30mph. So it'll downshift into 1st itself, but i was still surprised at just how bad i beat him on the dig runs. I expected a better run then that, i mean i knew i would win but didnt expect for it to really not even be a race.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill. You said stall it up does your car have an aftermarket stall in it? If you do have a stall then yeah you should have beat him by that amount. If you have the stock converter then it really should've been closer than that. If he gets a driver mod or a little more seat time the races will be closer but you will still be ahead.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

I do not believe it sounds skewed at all. A full bolt on ls1 will pull hard on a near stock s197 GT.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no telling what kind of tires both cars had, or what shape the GT's clutch was in... both items of which a dig race is sorely dependent! Just because a mustang "should" out launch a LS1 Camaro (or GTO for that matter) due to the inherent advantages of the Mustangs rear suspension design that enables stock or near stock Mustangs to pull a couple tenths faster 60' times (with equal tires), does not mean that it will!

You guys seem to think that every Mustang out there has sticky tires, good clutches, and that every Camaro or GTO has crappy stock setups. The kind of thinking that lets me whoop up on most street cars out there from a dig... just a few mods in the right place can level alot of playing field.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice kills man. Maybe he wasnt the best driver but you still have the faster car. He was probably more suprised than you by how bad he lost
Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
Good kill. You said stall it up does your car have an aftermarket stall in it? If you do have a stall then yeah you should have beat him by that amount. If you have the stock converter then it really should've been closer than that. If he gets a driver mod or a little more seat time the races will be closer but you will still be ahead.
No aftermarket stall, still stock. I do have Goodyear Eagle F1 Gs/D3's in the rear though.