Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First kill in a while (C5)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First kill in a while (C5)

After a flurry of races found on the street this summer/fall, I have gone through a month or two drought. Finally broke that today. Heading to class down the highway, see a c5 follow me onto to the next highway with dark windows so I was hoping for a young guy ready to run. Turns out it was an older guy and the car was stock. I gave him a little noise in 4th (60-770mph) at part throttle, didn't seem game so back to 6th.

About 15 seconds later he rolls next to me, I hear an auto downshift and he's off. Quickly downshift to 3rd at about 65mph, stop his pull, grab 4th and at about 95-100 he let's off with me at his door.

Now I have to swing over a couple lanes so I'm not forced to exit so I. Get ahead of him and get over 2 lanes (the lane next to him).

As he is approaching, I downshift to 3rd at 65mph and then 2nd at 50, and as he's creeping just a tad past my nose, I hear the same thing so I nail it and pull even, hit 3rd and put him at my rear quarter and have to let off for traffic at the top of 3rd with him clinging to the rear bumper.

I didn't bother trying to get him to do 1 more since he was in the lane getting off, and he throws me a thumbs up so I give him one too. Cool old guy, nice car.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a long fourth gear. lol
good kill!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
After a flurry of races found on the street this summer/fall, I have gone through a month or two drought. Finally broke that today. Heading to class down the highway, see a c5 follow me onto to the next highway with dark windows so I was hoping for a young guy ready to run. Turns out it was an older guy and the car was stock. I gave him a little noise in 4th (60-770mph) at part throttle, didn't seem game so back to 6th.

About 15 seconds later he rolls next to me, I hear an auto downshift and he's off. Quickly downshift to 3rd at about 65mph, stop his pull, grab 4th and at about 95-100 he let's off with me at his door.

Now I have to swing over a couple lanes so I'm not forced to exit so I. Get ahead of him and get over 2 lanes (the lane next to him).

As he is approaching, I downshift to 3rd at 65mph and then 2nd at 50, and as he's creeping just a tad past my nose, I hear the same thing so I nail it and pull even, hit 3rd and put him at my rear quarter and have to let off for traffic at the top of 3rd with him clinging to the rear bumper.

I didn't bother trying to get him to do 1 more since he was in the lane getting off, and he throws me a thumbs up so I give him one too. Cool old guy, nice car.
Holy ****, you hit the speed of sound by over 2 mph!

Seriously though, he gave you a thumbs up and that's all we want at the end of the day. Good kill

Edit: Damn you lemons, faster posting than me
Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

Lemons, it gives me the edge I need when racing Veyrons.....or the new 5oh.

Last edited by WSsick; 11-10-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gaunt

Seriously though, he gave you a thumbs up and that's all we want at the end of the day. Good kill
Yeah the quarter mile doesn't do my car justice. (damn my phone!)

But you are right, felt good to get some acknowledgement.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't get a run to save my life...cruise hours seeing all kinds of mustangs, new camaros, c5 and c6 vettes...no one wants to play
Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice kill! It wouldve been a much better race if the Vette was a manual. They are WAY faster in stock form than the auto's that have only 2.73s or the optional 3.15s(which is a little better) and are terrible at downshifting when racing from a roll lol. Surprised you didnt pull harder than you did with bolt ons tune and 3.73s. Who knows he might at least had a CAI but maybe not (some ppl will still say there car is stock even with a CAI) Nice kill though!

Last edited by demarco313; 11-10-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I can't get a run to save my life...cruise hours seeing all kinds of mustangs, new camaros, c5 and c6 vettes...no one wants to play
Compared to what I've been attracting, i'd rather have no runs. I always get pickup trucks and ricers. Not even cool pickup trucks or imports. It's fun to bash their skulls in either way.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You seem to get a lot of runs buddy!

I had a great day near the end of summer when I ran into 5th gen camaro, new 5.0, 05+ GTO, C5, C6Z. It was crazy! I didn't post the story though - figured too much time had past before I could get around to it.

Sounds like a cool old guy in the Vette
Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 PM
9 Second Club

Lol, good kill
Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by demarco313
nice kill! It wouldve been a much better race if the Vette was a manual. They are WAY faster in stock form than the auto's that have only 2.73s or the optional 3.15s(which is a little better) and are terrible at downshifting when racing from a roll lol. Surprised you didnt pull harder than you did with bolt ons tune and 3.73s. Who knows he might at least had a CAI but maybe not (some ppl will still say there car is stock even with a CAI) Nice kill though!
They weren't very long races (40mph), but I was still suprised I didn't pull away from him like I did another C5. This guy was a vert with at least exhaust and I was out a little more on him. Oh well, different cars bring different outcomes. I'd love to race a manual C5, but I can never find them around here. I figured him getting the hit, me being up ~50rwhp and him being 200lbs lighter or so made this outcome make sense. I'm not too concerned though.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

They weren't very long races (40mph), but I was still suprised I didn't pull away from him like I did another C5. This guy was a vert with at least exhaust and I was out a little more on him. Oh well, different cars bring different outcomes. I'd love to race a manual C5, but I can never find them around here. I figured him getting the hit, me being up ~50rwhp and him being 200lbs lighter or so made this outcome make sense. I'm not too concerned though.
True. Even though the races werent that long still kind of shocked the kill wasnt worse. Even with him having a 200 pound advantage or so and you being up 50rwhp, manual, and those 3.73s should have made you pull much harder on him compared to a stock auto with 2.73s if thats what he had. Even with him getting the hit those auto's downshift like crap and those 2.73s make its much worse lol. With your 3.73s im sure you were at a much higher rpm than he was when you both launched even though he did take the initial hit.

manual, 50rwhp more, 3.73s >>> 200 pound advantage, stock auto, 2.73s

Still nice kill.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wav3form
Compared to what I've been attracting, i'd rather have no runs. I always get pickup trucks and ricers. Not even cool pickup trucks or imports. It's fun to bash their skulls in either way.
some douche frat boy *** in training tried to run me in his tahoe the other day....passed him sideways

his window was rolled up at the next light but my g/f gave him the point and laugh anyway
Old 11-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Good kill! I gotta get my Z28 fixed so I can get back out there and look for some fun. I'll probably get it back on the road in January...just in time to race people winter beaters
Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

True. Even though the races werent that long still kind of shocked the kill wasnt worse. Even with him having a 200 pound advantage or so and you being up 50rwhp, manual, and those 3.73s should have made you pull much harder on him compared to a stock auto with 2.73s if thats what he had. Even with him getting the hit those auto's downshift like crap and those 2.73s make its much worse lol. With your 3.73s im sure you were at a much higher rpm than he was when you both launched even though he did take the initial hit.

Still nice kill.
Damn it looks like you like to argue just for the sake or arguing. He didn't even say anything that disagreed with you Even if he did take your bait, you never know who is telling the truth when they say "stock" anyway...
Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gaunt

Edit: Damn you lemons, faster posting than me
I got this **** on lock! Haha

Every bit counts man, every bit.

Still nice kill.
I don't even understand why you felt the need to post any of this?

As for how much he pulled.. the hit means EVERYTHING with two cars that are within even 100rwhp of each other.. and then to only race a short 40 or so mph burst, the outcome is as expected.
A 300rwhp will hang right with a 375rwhp car in a 40-90 race.. give it the hit and you have a neck and neck race.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12

As for how much he pulled.. the hit means EVERYTHING with two cars that are within even 100rwhp of each other.. and then to only race a short 40 or so mph burst, the outcome is as expected.
A 300rwhp will hang right with a 375rwhp car in a 40-90 race.. give it the hit and you have a neck and neck race.
Thank you. I really did not know how to answer that without sounding argumentative, and he seems to be one that does like to argue, as snake said. Outcome makes sense in my book when looking at the facts.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
I got this **** on lock! Haha

Every bit counts man, every bit.

SOOO TRUE!!! There have been a couple times I have got a bad hit racing a car and get pulled pretty good. Then the next race I get a good hit and it be door to door or even a win. Sometimes the hit can mean the difference between a win and a loss.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a buddy with an equally modded car as mine.. from a dig I beat him pretty badly (stalled auto against his 6speed) and from high rolls whoever gets the slightest hit pulls 1-2 lengths.
I have seen this tons of times.. I have raced cars much slower than me that hang with me until we both shift if I give them the hit..
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

No i dont like to argue I was saying. True i know the Hit means everything MOST OF THE TIME but those STOCK auto's have soo many dead spots in them its crazy. Its just like my Ls1 Camaro thats a auto. Even when it had a lid and headers and 3.73s it had many dead spots and pick-up would be considerly worse depending on what mph i took off at. Depending on what mph it was launched at with the stock stall it would feel like a 1,000 hp difference lol from being in one of the dead spots to not being in one of them.

On that note a stock car with an auto with 2.73s would be much worse depending on what mph it was launched. Thats the point of a stall converter which takes all those dead spots away in the auto. Ive been in many street races (mulitple races against the same car) to know that it really matters what mph you are in with a stock auto ls1 no matter if i took the hit or not. If i avoided my dead spots i would win no matter what mph we launched at but if i was caught in one of my dead spots when launching i would get slaughtered. Not trying to argue at all just saying.

My only point in even posting at all was to say im just a little shocked you didnt pull a little harder on a stock auto with 2.73s even with the race being that short. Hell for all we know maybe the Vette wasnt completely bone stock. But it doesnt matter all that matters is that you won!

As i said before and i will say again nice kill!

Last edited by demarco313; 11-11-2010 at 07:11 PM.