Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

El mero maro vs 2011 5.0 gt with mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Best I've seen is 12.6@112mph stock and 12.4@113(nearly 114)mph with a tune. He was going to put radials on it but the wheels wouldn't clear the brakes.

But the guy who bought my brother's old POS and fixed the transmission said it went 11.8 on drag radials with a tune and CAI but 11.6 on slicks flogging the hell out of the trans.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Best I've seen is 12.6@112mph stock and 12.4@113(nearly 114)mph with a tune. He was going to put radials on it but the wheels wouldn't clear the brakes.

But the guy who bought my brother's old POS and fixed the transmission said it went 11.8 on drag radials with a tune and CAI but 11.6 on slicks flogging the hell out of the trans.
With a huge 6k launch I could see a 11.6. Some people have been testiung the cold airs and found no gains with them.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly we can go all day about how much a tune will benefit an L99 camaro, realistically if anyone has driven an L99 any type of tune will help the tranny, in stock form its terrible to say the least. Also to be fair the 5.0's A6 from the factory to me is ALOT better then the camaro's although not perfect either and that will also benefit as well from a tune. So both can be said and go either way. The camaro does well once it gets higher in the rpms and the differences in acceleration because less noticable and they are much closer stock to stock especially the LS3 compared to the 5.0. The 5.0 feels lighter and honestly it having less bottom end torque is hardly noticable to me when i drove them, mainly because of the weight of the camaro on that initial tap of the throttle. Again i sell camaro's and would love to say its a better car of the 2 but the mustang is a half step if not a full step ahead. Thats ok though because competition is why these 2 cars have survived as long as they have and you will always have biased opinions mixed with reality. In the end my preference is the new 5.0 nothing taken away from the Camaro.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by karpetcm
Honestly we can go all day about how much a tune will benefit an L99 camaro, realistically if anyone has driven an L99 any type of tune will help the tranny, in stock form its terrible to say the least. Also to be fair the 5.0's A6 from the factory to me is ALOT better then the camaro's although not perfect either and that will also benefit as well from a tune. So both can be said and go either way. The camaro does well once it gets higher in the rpms and the differences in acceleration because less noticable and they are much closer stock to stock especially the LS3 compared to the 5.0. The 5.0 feels lighter and honestly it having less bottom end torque is hardly noticable to me when i drove them, mainly because of the weight of the camaro on that initial tap of the throttle. Again i sell camaro's and would love to say its a better car of the 2 but the mustang is a half step if not a full step ahead. Thats ok though because competition is why these 2 cars have survived as long as they have and you will always have biased opinions mixed with reality. In the end my preference is the new 5.0 nothing taken away from the Camaro.
They both suck in stock form for the auto. My car stock took forever to drop down and shift. It was slightly better then my G8 though. And the auto camaro I drove seemed like it wouldn't get out it's own way.

What funny is my wife sells camaro's also. She has sold 3 this month plus a few other new Chevy. She said more been buying cruzes and sonics lately.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

We watched a manual 5.0 at the strip run 13.8@105 all day on drag radials last weekend. Its all in the driver most of the time.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:57 PM

What's a Sonic?

OP, good close races!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DietCoke
We watched a manual 5.0 at the strip run 13.8@105 all day on drag radials last weekend. Its all in the driver most of the time.
Yeah but end of last year there was a guy who had his 100lb hot blonde wife driving his tune/Hpipe/CAI/catback/DR auto 5.0 to consistent 12.3 @ 114mph.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DietCoke
And I watched a LT, cold air, tuned ls3 5th gen on drag radials run 14s. As said its all in driver and track prep.

Last edited by ohioborn80; 03-27-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

ANY factory auto car these days blows donkey dick. They all come with long *** **** gearing, soft shifts, and no stall. Therefore, all stock auto cars have nowhere near the ***** of anything with a stick for the most part. This is why I always laugh at guys that will smoke an auto LS2 GTO and go around saying they "beat" LS2 GTO's all the time.

And to the OP...vids were tough to see much and all I heard was the camaro's exhaust so it was tough to gauge what was actually going on. I've seen auto 5th gens in action.....I'm going to be honest...I don't even know how the stang did that badly against you, even being an auto. If he has all the mods you claim he does, then I would have though it would be a bit more one sided in his favor. But hey a kill is a kill I guess, so good kill.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
They both suck in stock form for the auto. My car stock took forever to drop down and shift. It was slightly better then my G8 though. And the auto camaro I drove seemed like it wouldn't get out it's own way.

What funny is my wife sells camaro's also. She has sold 3 this month plus a few other new Chevy. She said more been buying cruzes and sonics lately.
Our dealership is super slow we only sell about 50-65 cars a month so were always late on what starts to sell especially when the cruze and sonic first came out we couldnt sell them. I have a cruze that i bought for the wife 1.4 turbo. I do admit GM has come a long way since the cobalt, lol.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lablackbeast

first we did a 30. he spun and hooked by second, then he miss shifted 4th gear and we left off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62pcC...3&feature=plcp
Sound slike you hit before 3rd hit also. And you can see him on the limiter as it lights up red. And rest his gauges are still blue
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM
doesn't know what quit means

Sound slike you hit before 3rd hit also. And you can see him on the limiter as it lights up red. And rest his gauges are still blue
We both hit it at the same time, nobody took off early another thing is that you can hear my car more cause I have straight pipe, I think if I would have token the hit i would have jumped right out the bat, o and idk whats that red light
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

We both hit it at the same time, nobody took off early another thing is that you can hear my car more cause I have straight pipe, I think if I would have token the hit i would have jumped right out the bat, o and idk whats that red light
The red light is telling him to shift. Its a built in shift light.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
Yeah but end of last year there was a guy who had his 100lb hot blonde wife driving his tune/Hpipe/CAI/catback/DR auto 5.0 to consistent 12.3 @ 114mph.
LOL thats funny at the end of the year last year 2 guys from tacoma came down to PIR with new 5.0's with full bolt ons and boss intakes and couldnt get any better than 12.3. I had to smack them around with my beater camaro=)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
ANY factory auto car these days blows donkey dick. They all come with long *** **** gearing, soft shifts, and no stall. Therefore, all stock auto cars have nowhere near the ***** of anything with a stick for the most part. This is why I always laugh at guys that will smoke an auto LS2 GTO and go around saying they "beat" LS2 GTO's all the time.

And to the OP...vids were tough to see much and all I heard was the camaro's exhaust so it was tough to gauge what was actually going on. I've seen auto 5th gens in action.....I'm going to be honest...I don't even know how the stang did that badly against you, even being an auto. If he has all the mods you claim he does, then I would have though it would be a bit more one sided in his favor. But hey a kill is a kill I guess, so good kill.
The autos don't really suck as far as gearing. The tuning from the factory is weak. But even with just 3.27s you still are in 4th before the traps. It takes a good tune on an l99 car for it to perform to its potential. They pickup crazy torque under the curve and tq mgt is ridiculous from the factory.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rhino79
The autos don't really suck as far as gearing. The tuning from the factory is weak. But even with just 3.27s you still are in 4th before the traps. It takes a good tune on an l99 car for it to perform to its potential. They pickup crazy torque under the curve and tq mgt is ridiculous from the factory.
Gearing probably isn't so bad anymore (unlike the wonderful 2.73 option on the auto 4th gens) but they do come with overly "soft" setups. I'm sure it has a lot to do with manufacturers offering better warranties and trying to prolong the tranny life. Still, it sucks to buy a brand new auto car only to tune it for much better performance and harder shifting, and then lose your warranty lol.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 PM
doesn't know what quit means

Originally Posted by Rhino79
What kind of weight reduction did you do.?? I been trying to hit better times but its my daily and dont want to make it into my race car lol
Old 03-28-2012, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

What kind of weight reduction did you do.?? I been trying to hit better times but its my daily and dont want to make it into my race car lol
Lighter rims, lighter brakes, lighter driveshaft, lighter yet stronger suspension is a good start.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
What's a Sonic?

OP, good close races!
Aveo replacement

Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Which btw is ******* awesome! I didn't like the fact that I saw it 3 times on my 'casual trip to triple digits on a closed track in mexico' but it is a very nice touch imho.