Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

how could i gain MPH

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez op, I truly gotta believe you are pulling our leg. ...

Yep, just read through a bunch of your threads and posts. Guys who buy and sell lots of engine parts (blocks, L92 heads, cams, F1 superchargers, meth kits, etc) do not come up with threads like this one unless they think someones leg is a bit too long and are gonna help them out.

Also the 1,000+ posts gives it away.

If you do truly want to know what will help you the most, tell us your cars mods. It's got a built LS3 for starters, and you just sold a 4,000 circle D stall because you wanted a 3200...

If you don't wanna spill the beans just shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what I would do if I were you.

Oh yeah: what kind and size of tire you running? stock gears? I don't care if you aren't going to the track, you still have to worry about hooking up from a roll on the street! Even "75mph" Supra's are running drag radials for a reason.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones

Yep, just read through a bunch of your threads and posts. Guys who buy and sell lots of engine parts (blocks, L92 heads, cams, F1 superchargers, meth kits, etc) do not come up with threads like this one unless they think someones leg is a bit too long and are gonna help them out.

If you do truly want to know what will help you the most, tell us your cars mods. It's got a built LS3 for starters, and you just sold a 4,000 circle D stall because you wanted a 3200...

If you don't wanna spill the beans just shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what I would do if I were you.

Oh yeah: what kind and size of tire you running? stock gears? I don't care if you aren't going to the track, you still have to worry about hooking up from a roll on the street! Even "75mph" Supra's are running drag radials for a reason.

I did the same.....seems like maybe his lil brother got on is sign on, although he did get a lil touchy in his lt1 race thread too

he is def no dummy when it comes to performance:

http://houstonperformancetrucks.com/...p/t-7483.html?

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...nd-new-499162/

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...harger-499203/

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...s-vids-497656/

http://houstonperformancetrucks.com/...oker-Turbo-Fun

Last edited by hugger1975; 04-04-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 PM
doesn't know what quit means

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Just trade it in for a 5.0 and be faster..haha
5.0s are fast, but nothing to be impressed the thing is that NOBODY has gone all out on these camaros, i could do gears, stall and some drag wheels 15s all around. Change the brakes drop some weight and bam bad *** times too
Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones

Its an L99 with tune only and straight pipe for now, right now i have the varaam CAI, some kooks headers, SLP pulley and the FAST intake i have all that already but i just dont feel like its the time to install the mods Working on my truck first
Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lablackbeast
5.0s are fast, but nothing to be impressed the thing is that NOBODY has gone all out on these camaros, i could do gears, stall and some drag wheels 15s all around. Change the brakes drop some weight and bam bad *** times too
Thats because they are driven by old men and/or transformer wannabe's. There is ONE...just one by me that has work into it and is respectable. And there are probably 30 more with undercar lights, transformer badges, etc etc with a cold air intake, or open exhaust cutouts, or something dumb just to grab attention. I have a bitter taste in my mouth from the bad rep they get around here. Maybe once they start getting older and down in price, the younger generation will pick them up and actually make them cool.

I don't think they are bad looking personally, but the crowd they attract is
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Thats because they are driven by old men and/or transformer wannabe's. There is ONE...just one by me that has work into it and is respectable. And there are probably 30 more with undercar lights, transformer badges, etc etc with a cold air intake, or open exhaust cutouts, or something dumb just to grab attention. I have a bitter taste in my mouth from the bad rep they get around here. Maybe once they start getting older and down in price, the younger generation will pick them up and actually make them cool.

Well i am 19 so thats probablly why i am into making it more of an all out car, its my daily but i want ppl to recognized these bitches can move too
Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Well i am 19 so thats probablly why i am into making it more of an all out car, its my daily but i want ppl to recognized these bitches can move too
He above is right. We have a 5th Gen car club. And out of the 40+ of them one is actually set up. Cam/heads/blower/full bolt ons 680whp. Yet its still kinda slow. Be it the driver or the car. We all went to the track his best time was 12.6@123..Some one else drives teh car and it went 11.6@129. We raced on way home dead even from 45-140. I had 60whp less. He even had the better gearing with teh 3.73's vs my 3.15's. I was even on a brake in tune. Now I retuned and we played around agian. 45-100 and i start pulling. I am most likely about 40whp under him now. As i added 600rpms to my redline and few exhuast mods. At teh track i still crush him. Now I have added a stll he will not run me at all. Street or track. But it happens. WHat worse is teh President of teh club has a c/h/i/e ls3 that ran 12.4@118. He thought he was fast till he ran a tune/tire/intake 5.0 at the track. The mustang went 11.9@118 to his 12.5@117 that time. Now they don't even show up to the track as a group. makes me sad. LOL
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Oh if only was that easy in the 5th gen you would have done it along with a billion others racing them. Yet it isn't and n/a cars are still struggling to get out there way. SC cars are still slow compared to compition.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

There's only one 5th gen by me that is worked over. Tons that are stock or running cherry bombs or some such crap to make them loud.

That's actually why the one guy who built his, built his: he's chasing the title for fastest naturally aspirated 5th gen. His names Diet Coke on here and other sites, he's dropped weight down to 3500lbs and is rolling with a 600rwhp TSP 429 LS7 with a stalled and built 4L80E.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Nobody is into them, nobody tries to go for a tune only record, or tune and CAI reacord with 15s all around
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by WSsick
Actually I think this is an interesting topic for the street racing section.

A guy I know has a 408 wit 4.30s and a 26" tire. It definitely would haul *** at the track, but for roll racing, it doesn't work. (Actually it wouldn't work at the track either since 4th tops out at ~120.)

Here's a video of him vs my buddy's H/C LS1 (3.73s with 27" tire). 408 makes 508rwhp, WS6 made 446, both cars were close in weight at the time and had a passenger each.

ROLL STARTS AT 2:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULv2r2QuPkQ

He should have pulled pretty easy, but because he's shifting so often it hurts him. He's going to a 28" tire now so that should help out a lot.

Some people may argue, but I think less (gear) is more on the street (for roll racing anyways). 3.73 with a 26" tire, 3.90 with a 27" tire, or 4.10 with a 28" tire would be perfect street combos for our cars in my opinion.

That is a great concept and all, only it doesn't work in all situations. Look at Ferraris and their gear ratio. Then look at a C6 Z06 and it's gear ratio. If you have torque go with the longer spread gear. If you have no torque and mainly high RPM power then go with lower gear.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

lablackbeast this might help you out since the GTO's are on the same base platform and were the precursor to the new camaro's (and G8's and CTS).

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...637&highlight=

This was with a crappy off brand converter that hit way too hard. My Yank SS3600 is tons more liveable and still stalls just as high but with a better torque spread above the stall spead.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...873&highlight=
Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Thats because they are driven by old men and/or transformer wannabe's. There is ONE...just one by me that has work into it and is respectable. ...

They are soaking up the crowd that used to buy Mustangs and Corvettes. Have you ever been to a Mustang or Corvette show?! You will see some of the most riced out excuses for cars driven by old men you can imagine.

They will put fake plastic chrome trim and fender vents and cute little "Ride the Pony" stickers and paint the interior yellow/red and everything else you can imagine.

Then they make a huge sign showing their car's options and how it's "1 of 49" yellow convertibles with white interior the premium audio and 3 extra cupholders made in 2001 on a Tuesday. Also the mandatory "stock" hp rating and they list mufflers, CAI, and a throttle body spacer and now it's 160hp over stock.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
They are soaking up the crowd that used to buy Mustangs and Corvettes. Have you ever been to a Mustang or Corvette show?! You will see some of the most riced out excuses for cars driven by old men you can imagine.

They will put fake plastic chrome trim and fender vents and cute little "Ride the Pony" stickers and paint the interior yellow/red and everything else you can imagine.

Then they make a huge sign showing their car's options and how it's "1 of 49" yellow convertibles with white interior the premium audio and 3 extra cupholders made in 2001 on a Tuesday. Also the mandatory "stock" hp rating and they list mufflers, CAI, and a throttle body spacer and now it's 160hp over stock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDLybhuOH0
Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Haha..we was just making fun that video a couple days ago.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

A converter will net you serious gains over any other mod with exception of a power adder. You can choose a converter that hits hard and have better times at the track, or a converter with less hit that pulls harder up top. Circle D, Yank, PI will all tell you it all depends on what you want more. I run a PT 4000 and it is great on the streets from a stop or roll. Shift extension is what you want and the looser the converter the better it is. You can beat cars with a lot more power if your car is setup right.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
That is a great concept and all, only it doesn't work in all situations. Look at Ferraris and their gear ratio. Then look at a C6 Z06 and it's gear ratio. If you have torque go with the longer spread gear. If you have no torque and mainly high RPM power then go with lower gear.
That's why I said, "... would be perfect street combos for our cars"...speaking only for F-bodies, since other powerplants/drivetrains will be different

Originally Posted by work in progress
You can beat cars with a lot more power if your car is setup right.
My buddy's car will be doing a lot of that this year.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Intresting topic , I feel the same as Wsick. Even more so when nitrous is involved of course.
See I have thought this same thing, I run a 4.10 now NA and was thinking a 3.73 would build more speed coupled with the 150 shot I'm planning on running since the extra horsepower would combat the loss in acceleration building more speed in the process.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

These 5th gens are ******* slow track cars but killers on the street.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
9 Second Club

I think gears would help the mph, you would get deeper into 4th quicker. I also believe the right converter will pickup mph also.