Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

The Racing Scene.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Honestly dude, change your major.

Dealership life, isn't for you. 10 year vet myself...left the dealership scene a year ago. Happily. If your into performance, find a local company, do grunt work,...and learn. Learn, learn learn. Don't just watch, do...that's the only way your gonna learn.

As far as gaining knowledge, hands on is the BEST way.... the internet, should be an alternative. Good information on boost,..could be found in the forced induction section of this forum. I will tell you, the street racing section has perhaps the stupidest people on the site when it comes to actual knowledge, so, already your starting off wrong on your quest for knowledge.

I would consider reading a book, when it comes to engine building/configurations, etc. If your interested in boost,..Corky Bell has a good book about it.
I agree with you about the dealership life.
However, cars are something that I really like and want to become experienced with. This is my last year until I graduate. I'm going to finish it out, and then possibly get a bachelor degree in electronics or something and do stuff related to cars.

I've done a lot of grunt work. I didn't know how to change a tire until I was almost 19. Hardly even knew how to use tools. I was over there using a 19mm socket on an 18mm bolt because, hell...it fit. It took me months of asking if I can do the engine job...if I can help the tech with a tranny, etc.
Even got to the point where I threatened to quit if they gave me another oil change. That's when I started getting better jobs and was able to start getting better with me hands.

Now that I know how a car works and such, I want to start branching off into my actual interest...which is making them go faster.

I don't really know of any shops in my area that do performance work. There are a few shops that do, but performance work is merely filler work, and they don't do too much of it.
So, I just read books.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet is to go to School of Automotive Machinists in Houston... That's a great starting point for wanting to build performance cars and give you knowledge and credibility...

I'd stay away from dealer life... Tough to make a good/decent living unless you are at an extremely busy dealer with few techs... and then you get worked into the ground.

My best advice to you is figure out a market you can make a good living in, and go that direction... Then build cars on the side or as a hobby.

You should really take your *** back to college and get a BA in something while youre young.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Best bet is to go to School of Automotive Machinists in Houston... That's a great starting point for wanting to build performance cars and give you knowledge and credibility...

I'd stay away from dealer life... Tough to make a good/decent living unless you are at an extremely busy dealer with few techs... and then you get worked into the ground.

My best advice to you is figure out a market you can make a good living in, and go that direction... Then build cars on the side or as a hobby.

You should really take your *** back to college and get a BA in something while youre young.
BS is where the money is at now. Shortage of Engineering & Science majors in the US for the past 15 years already
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

PM audacious Nick.

He's the owner of Underground Racing and he is looking for some new guys.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LivingBreathingProof
I agree with you about the dealership life.
However, cars are something that I really like and want to become experienced with. This is my last year until I graduate. I'm going to finish it out, and then possibly get a bachelor degree in electronics or something and do stuff related to cars.

I've done a lot of grunt work. I didn't know how to change a tire until I was almost 19. Hardly even knew how to use tools. I was over there using a 19mm socket on an 18mm bolt because, hell...it fit. It took me months of asking if I can do the engine job...if I can help the tech with a tranny, etc.
Even got to the point where I threatened to quit if they gave me another oil change. That's when I started getting better jobs and was able to start getting better with me hands.

Now that I know how a car works and such, I want to start branching off into my actual interest...which is making them go faster.

I don't really know of any shops in my area that do performance work. There are a few shops that do, but performance work is merely filler work, and they don't do too much of it.
So, I just read books.

With all due respect my man, first off, welcome to the site...I commend you for even bothering to come on here(makes me think your another member-or your sincerely legit) and ask questions. People now a days,..always afraid to ask. Props to you for that.

Second,..being a mechanic...is a thing of the past. A technician, is honestly better suited for todays auto mechanics. As you have to be a plumber, HVAC tech/ electrician/mechanic/ and a freaking doctor to fix most of todays problem vehicles. I did this for 9 years as a tech, one year as an advisor. Money, can be made but, there is two ways. Hustle,..work hard, work all the time...non stop,..and be good at what you do. Or, lie, steal and cheat. Thats the only two ways to make money as a dealership tech.

However,...I learned a lot. Where else would I have find soo many Cadillac's to molest? I am great full for the dealership training....not to mention, all of the training they put you through as a technician. But, it has changed a lot....it isn't worth it these days. I got into the industry for similar reasons, although I grew up with cars(working on them as a child with family). For the passion fueled motorhead...it's the wrong choice. As mentioned above, the SAM school is awesome...that'll probably turn anyone into a man overnight lol. Probably doesn't get a whole lot better then that.

If I had to recommend something to you,...coming from someone that has labored his entire life....I would suggest something in doors. You like cars? How about tuning? Learn the fundamentals of that, understand how an engine works...air fuel mixtures....you can even buy tuning books, or even attend training sessions. It is indeed critical, and not a "cakewalk" but...once you learn it,...it is indeed the QUICKEST way to make good money in this industry. Without a doubt. I know guys that don't know what a lot of car parts are but,..are wizards with keyboards. I know guys that make $money every night when they go home, sending email tune files.

That would be what I would recommend to you. I have worked most aspects of this industry, I work for a performance place now, I know a LOT of people in the industry....again, I would HIGHLY recommend to you that field.

Just remember one thing.

Power adders don't kill engines, people with laptops do.

All the best dude-
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by big hammer
you know what.... I've never asked.
Don't do it, it's a tarp
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
PM audacious Nick.

He's the owner of Underground Racing and he is looking for some new guys.
I love you, as well. No homo.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, turbo cars are for queers. Doesn't matter if they are singles or twins. either way both are gay. Go into school for something that pays well so you don't have to fix other peoples cars for peanuts. i'm out this mother fugger
Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
With all due respect my man, first off, welcome to the site...I commend you for even bothering to come on here(makes me think your another member-or your sincerely legit) and ask questions. People now a days,..always afraid to ask. Props to you for that.

Second,..being a mechanic...is a thing of the past. A technician, is honestly better suited for todays auto mechanics. As you have to be a plumber, HVAC tech/ electrician/mechanic/ and a freaking doctor to fix most of todays problem vehicles. I did this for 9 years as a tech, one year as an advisor. Money, can be made but, there is two ways. Hustle,..work hard, work all the time...non stop,..and be good at what you do. Or, lie, steal and cheat. Thats the only two ways to make money as a dealership tech.

However,...I learned a lot. Where else would I have find soo many Cadillac's to molest? I am great full for the dealership training....not to mention, all of the training they put you through as a technician. But, it has changed a lot....it isn't worth it these days. I got into the industry for similar reasons, although I grew up with cars(working on them as a child with family). For the passion fueled motorhead...it's the wrong choice. As mentioned above, the SAM school is awesome...that'll probably turn anyone into a man overnight lol. Probably doesn't get a whole lot better then that.

If I had to recommend something to you,...coming from someone that has labored his entire life....I would suggest something in doors. You like cars? How about tuning? Learn the fundamentals of that, understand how an engine works...air fuel mixtures....you can even buy tuning books, or even attend training sessions. It is indeed critical, and not a "cakewalk" but...once you learn it,...it is indeed the QUICKEST way to make good money in this industry. Without a doubt. I know guys that don't know what a lot of car parts are but,..are wizards with keyboards. I know guys that make $money every night when they go home, sending email tune files.

That would be what I would recommend to you. I have worked most aspects of this industry, I work for a performance place now, I know a LOT of people in the industry....again, I would HIGHLY recommend to you that field.

Just remember one thing.

Power adders don't kill engines, people with laptops do.

All the best dude-
I really appreciate the deatiled response.
As I've said, I think I want to get into the electrical/programming part of all of this.
I should look more into tuning. It's something I've wondered about, but never researched what it's all about.
I'm actually in fuel class as we speak, and we're talking about fuel mapping.
That stuff is definitely critical. I didn't know there was money in it, though. I think I'll research it more.

You're right that it takes a rocket scientist to pretty much fix today's cars (from my experience, at least).
I mean...a lot of the complicated problems I've seen have to deal with software issues or mistakes made at the manufacturer.
Yes, I know how to diagnose electrical faults, but when it gets crazy like an incorrectly spliced wire or something, it can almost be out of your control because it doesn't pay to find problems like that and fix it. Not only that, you have to open a case to the manufacturer. So, it's dumb.

Originally Posted by willizm
OP, turbo cars are for queers. Doesn't matter if they are singles or twins. either way both are gay. Go into school for something that pays well so you don't have to fix other peoples cars for peanuts. i'm out this mother fugger
You're far too right. I feel like techs do SO MUCH courtesy work...because you can't **** off a customer or they won't come back. Not only that, but warranty is an all-around joke.
At my dealership, they would make us do a fluid analysis on every car...
Where you dip a stick into the diff, t-case, f diff, etc. Takes so much time...and you only sell something 1/10 cars. Huge waste of time.
And then you could have an electrical fault...
Could take hours to diagnose, but do you get paid for it? Not from what I've seen...because they can't charge the customer $100/hr for 5 hours to find the problem, then charge them to fix it. It's all a huge joke. From my experience, at least...

Last edited by LivingBreathingProof; 11-07-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go the engineer route man, you'll be happy when you graduate.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

I like turtles.

Quick Reply: The Racing Scene.