Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

5.br0 vs LS2 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
The 401 was on E85 . Not worried about hp numbers tho as the car runs fine for the power. As far as stall goes, its well know for 6r80 5 0s to gain .4-.5 with a stall. I have a couple of friends who did just that..gained half second.

Most of my comments regarding the LS1 are because of the Hio crew stating that the LS1>5.0... when in fact its not. Nowhere near... thats like saying the LS1>LS3....which the 5 0 is more comparable to. So my original statement stands. No LS1 equipped car at the same weight with the same mods will keep up. Thats not me being cocky... just stating the facts. All out NA? Yeah the LS1 can make similar power to a all out NA 5.0.
Well, that is what I said, and it obviously makes sense since the 5.0 came with min 70hp more so bolt on I completely agree. But, if you want to get mod for mod, meaning FBO, cam (cams for you), intake, aftermarket heads, stall, then the LS1 absolutely will make every bit as much power. Not our problem that heads and cams don't do anything for those cars, they do for ours.

I guess the difference between me and other people, is that if I were to buy heads, they aren't going to be 243's that's lightly ported by Joe Blow. They are going to be some nice Tony Mammo heads, worked by him, same with the intake. If I didn't go with those, then whatever heads I so chose, would be sent off to Advanced Induction where their heads are known to make great power.

People don't want to spend the money one their cars to get all they can from them. So of course you're not going to see a bunch of good running ls cars, because they do their builds and try to save as much money as possible. Problem with that is, that each part they skimp on cause a trickle affect on hp. So by the time they are done, they saved $1500 (just a number), but has cost them 20-50rwhp. All that adds up

So if you want to go full sausage, H/C/I FBO build on both cars, I think it a lot closer than you think. Numbers are out there for the LS1 for all to see. Problem is that it isn't cost effective to do it, just like a cams sway in a 5.0.

Edit: As far as you putting a stall on yours, I'd feel very confident with taking the 11rwhp and a drag pack against you and it being a drivers race. The wheels will help my 60' by launching harder (more rpm's) with more sidewall and help rotation. All hypothetical here, but if you think it wouldn't be close, you're lying to yourself.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
You literally say this in every thread that has a ls car in it.

I know you're supposedly "trash talking", but it gets old hearing you always use the weight comparison. I'd give anything to have my car na again, because I'd put ours both on the scale, add weight to mine if need be to equal it, and then this ls would **** all over it. we had to be pretty close in weight (within 50lbs), but I'm guessing you're close to 430-440rwhp with e85 vs my 390rwhp at the time. It would have been bad had I been the same hp level as you with the same weight.

I don't talk **** about the golden 5.0 coyote motor, I have said multiple time that it's a good motor and always give props to them when vids are posted. All this **** talking about a motor I happen to enjoy in my car, just gets old after the 1000th time. If it were the truth then it wouldn't bother me, but you don't seem to have a clue what a good running ls car can do.

Honestly man, I like you and we'd probably have a lot of fun hanging out and racing, but your car has gotten you awful cocky and it does run good for what it is, but it's not all that. I know quite a few "proper" ls cars that would do some serious mental ***** to your head after you ran them. Just sayin

If I offended you, sorry, it is what it is. I'm just saying what you say to every ls guy on here, so I'm not doing anything that you don't. Seriously, you guys can all think what you want, but when you get ahold of a well built, full weight fbody, you won't have anything for it, period! Try getting into other sections here other than srk and maybe you'll see what these cars can really do when people actually take time and do them right.

/end rant
Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed how much Poppa has changed since buying a Br0.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, that is what I said, and it obviously makes sense since the 5.0 came with min 70hp more so bolt on I completely agree. But, if you want to get mod for mod, meaning FBO, cam (cams for you), intake, aftermarket heads, stall, then the LS1 absolutely will make every bit as much power. Not our problem that heads and cams don't do anything for those cars, they do for ours.
Cams on new 5.0's have impressive gains. Head work has quite impressive power gains as well.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Cams on new 5.0's have impressive gains. Head work has quite impressive power gains as well.
How impressive do you mean? I honestly haven't looked at what they gain from heads and cams on the newer cars. I just hear everyone complaining that for the money, it's minimal gains and the heads flow really good from the factory already. Tony and AI usually see 46-64rwhp on the setups they choose from heads alone.

I'm just going off the way it used to be, where you're seeing 15-20rwhp on cams. I still stand behind my statement, the ls cars are out there that are pushing that kind of power on pump gas.

Edit: I better specify, that means if he's ported the intake, bigger throttle body, custom cam, etc.. with the stock 853's or 241 being dyno'd, then putting their heads on there. Obviously with only heads they aren't making that power. I worded it wrong for some.

Last edited by Deeohgie69; 04-26-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
How dare you have an opinion that is logical, full of common sense, and unbiased.
Haha, do you understand what unbiased means? D69 literally said that the reason he posted is because he was sick of seeing poppa post 100's of times in a negative way about the motor he loves so much.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

How impressive do you mean? I honestly haven't looked at what they gain from heads and cams on the newer cars. I just hear everyone complaining that for the money, it's minimal gains and the heads flow really good from the factory already. Tony and AI usually see 46-64rwhp on the setups they choose from heads alone.

I'm just going off the way it used to be, where you're seeing 15-20rwhp on cams. I still stand behind my statement, the ls cars are out there that are pushing that kind of power on pump gas.

Edit: I better specify, that means if he's ported the intake, bigger throttle body, custom cam, etc.. with the stock 853's or 241 being dyno'd, then putting their heads on there. Obviously with only heads they aren't making that power. I worded it wrong for some.
Yes, DOHC stuff is pricey. But, 5.0's with good head work & cams with a good setup of bolt-on's can yield 500+whp. It's been done of course. H/C LS1's obviously have been there too. And it also gets expensive to get a SBE LS1 to that level as well.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Yes, DOHC stuff is pricey. But, 5.0's with good head work & cams with a good setup of bolt-on's can yield 500+whp. It's been done of course. H/C LS1's obviously have been there too. And it also gets expensive to get a SBE LS1 to that level.
I agree 100%! My whole point was that if it went mod for mod, it'd be pretty close. But obviously if you don't allow for heads and cam, the coyote will walk away from it.

Definitely pricey on both to make 500rwhp and that's why most just throw nitrous or go fi. I did, because I would have had I'm guessing about 6 grand in it to do heads, TB, intake, rockers, etc... Now if I want 20-25rwhp I can just turn it up 1psi.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess the difference between me and other people, is that if I were to buy heads, they aren't going to be 243's that's lightly ported by Joe Blow. They are going to be some nice Tony Mammo heads, worked by him, same with the intake. If I didn't go with those, then whatever heads I so chose, would be sent off to Advanced Induction where their heads are known to make great power.

People don't want to spend the money one their cars to get all they can from them. So of course you're not going to see a bunch of good running ls cars, because they do their builds and try to save as much money as possible. Problem with that is, that each part they skimp on cause a trickle affect on hp. So by the time they are done, they saved $1500 (just a number), but has cost them 20-50rwhp. All that adds up

So if you want to go full sausage, H/C/I FBO build on both cars, I think it a lot closer than you think. Numbers are out there for the LS1 for all to see. Problem is that it isn't cost effective to do it, just like a cams sway in a 5.0.

Edit: As far as you putting a stall on yours, I'd feel very confident with taking the 11rwhp and a drag pack against you and it being a drivers race. The wheels will help my 60' by launching harder (more rpm's) with more sidewall and help rotation. All hypothetical here, but if you think it wouldn't be close, you're lying to yourself.
we can agree on most of what you posted. Again most of my comments are in retaliation to the Hio crew talking about the LS1 vs Coyote. NA, I can see similar power. I plan on FI, which is why I still have my stock manifolds and cats on the car. If I go twin turbo, long tubes wont be needed, if I go F1A Procharger , which I am considering, then yes I will go with long tubes. The only reason I dont have a stall in the car right now is 2 reasons.. 1st, I am curious to see what the 2018 GTs offer, and second, I am also debating on a NA stall for now, and sell later with FI..or just wait to get a stall with FI. Of course when I win the lottery, I could make my mi d up easier.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed how much Poppa has changed since buying a Br0.
I havent changed man.. mostly in defensive mode with the Hio crew. I talked trash wheb I had my GT500 too.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

I agree 100%! My whole point was that if it went mod for mod, it'd be pretty close. But obviously if you don't allow for heads and cam, the coyote will walk away from it.

Definitely pricey on both to make 500rwhp and that's why most just throw nitrous or go fi. I did, because I would have had I'm guessing about 6 grand in it to do heads, TB, intake, rockers, etc... Now if I want 20-25rwhp I can just turn it up 1psi.
Indeed, when going aftermarket, it can be extremely close competition with the more powerful going either way.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
I havent changed man.. mostly in defensive mode with the Hio crew. I talked trash wheb I had my GT500 too.
Yes buy your trash talking is different now. You're actually very serious about it. When you owned the GT500, you were very relaxed & cool with mostly everyone.

You still are cool, IMO, but you've definitely changed lol.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Yes buy your trash talking is different now. You're actually very serious about it. When you owned the GT500, you were very relaxed & cool with mostly everyone.

You still are cool, IMO, but you've definitely changed lol.
I think I am pretty laid back in general. I get riled up every now and then. I guess I can see the hate that the 5 0 gets now that I own one. When I had the GT500, it was like being the fat king sitting on the throne. The 5.0 guys bow down and admit defeat.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

microphone couldnt handle WOT LS2,nice kill!
Old 04-26-2016, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Poppa is a cobro

Hey poppa.....you always worried about the weight wanting it the same. How bout makin the tq multiplication the same to.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Poppa is a cobro

Hey poppa.....you always worried about the weight wanting it the same. How bout makin the tq multiplication the same to.
I have seen 500whp from intake, cam, 93 octane coyotes. Heads and e85 would be good for 550, no sbe ls1 making near that. So no its not really all that close to be honest, but it is way more expensive for a coyote to do it, no arguments there. Also bringing up drag pack wheel weights, stock pp wheels with tires are 64lbs. My "lightweight drag pack wheel" and tire is 54lbs. I would venture a guess it's still as heavy or heavier than stock fbody wheels. Poppa also ran those times with stock manifolds and cats. Imagine if he had that fixed and a stall, it wouldn't even be remotely close. Flame on.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Thought his fronts were 5" wide, no? So you're telling me, that the factory heads on a new coyote flow so shitty, that they pick up 35-40rwhp? Because e85 is only good for 10-15rwhp? Seems legit
Old 04-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thought his fronts were 5" wide, no? So you're telling me, that the factory heads on a new coyote flow so shitty, that they pick up 35-40rwhp? Because e85 is only good for 10-15rwhp? Seems legit
You can assume what ever you want, just telling you facts.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V8EATR
Not assuming anything. You guys are the ones that say e85 only gains 10-15rwhp, the rest was simple math. Out of the 50rwhp from heads and e85, that leaves 35-40reho for heads. Which means these new factory coyote heads must flow like ****?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I have seen 500whp from intake, cam, 93 octane coyotes. Heads and e85 would be good for 550, no sbe ls1 making near that. So no its not really all that close to be honest, but it is way more expensive for a coyote to do it, no arguments there. Also bringing up drag pack wheel weights, stock pp wheels with tires are 64lbs. My "lightweight drag pack wheel" and tire is 54lbs. I would venture a guess it's still as heavy or heavier than stock fbody wheels. Poppa also ran those times with stock manifolds and cats. Imagine if he had that fixed and a stall, it wouldn't even be remotely close. Flame on.
So your drag pak fronts weigh 54lb.....lol. bull ****

6gen been faster than poppa drag pak only.

You're gonna struggle to get to 500whp with a cam only coyote. It could probably be done...but likely only done on the dyno for the purpose of doin it.

Btw....ls6 has been 525whp cam only

No matter how you slice it the coyote is only comparable to the ls1/ls6. It's just to limited. Now does that mean it can't make good power.....no. Does it mean you can't have a fast fun car.....no.

What it means is if you come across a ls that has did his homework it's gonna stomp you.

Coyote heads flow about 290 cfm. I think they can port them up to flow about 330. But what you have to watch is they want to rate them at .600. It doesn't do any good to rate them at .600 if there are no cams to lift the valve .600.

Either way they end up way short of what can be done with ls heads.
Seems as tho you missed some facts
Old 04-26-2016, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

So with that info, there's no way heads will pick up that much power.

Alot of funny stuff going on here letely in srk

Quick Reply: 5.br0 vs LS2 GTO