Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Supercharged 5.0 vs 408 ls1

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged 5.0 vs 408 ls1

A guy I work with has a 89 5.0, mostly stock just 373 gears and exhaust. We shoot the **** and trash talk all day at work (makes the time fly). So we decide to race from a roll on the highway at about 40 mph, 3 honks and we go...I pull a few football fields on him before I shut down. We raced again with the same outcome. This was an all motor race for me with an a4. After the race he said "i never felt so slow, I thought something was wrong with my car."
Then he tells me that he has a Vortech Supercharger (S-trim) setting in a box in his room . So we take the weekend off to put that thing in..Vortech=PITA A few days after the install we had to race them again, now he is running 7-8 lbs of boost and go from a 40 mph roll..3rd honk we go! He hangs with me for a split second and again here come the football fields! lol..The pulling was a lot slower this time around but still a hard pull. It was a big difference than before.

The next race: I sold him my 5177 dry nitrous kit running a 75 shot..hooked it up before the MAF and when sprayed it runs so rich it just bogs the car down. We will lean it out and get it tuned and see what it takes to beat me all motor I'll try and get this one on film for ya'll. He also has a 347 on the (being built right now) way in the next few months and will put the supercharger and nitrous on that...You think he's got a chance with me all motor then?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, but he''ll be more visible in your rearview mirror
Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

What kinda power are you making? I'm guessing somewhere between 450-500rwhp NA?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

it was only one football field after we put the supercharger on... for the record...
and i'd say it's a good two seconds I hang with you... (mostly thanks to you driving a GIRLY AUTOMATIC!)

and don't you worry... just you wait til we get all the 347 parts we need and spend 283 man hours attempting do the swap....
you'll have to actually use that nitro of yours to beat me.

and yes, he should be 500rwhp+ all motor... his car is a freakin monster.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Good friend to help build up a rival. Better be careful though if things start to get close he might "accidentally" screw up one of the installs, lol.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MidnightStallion
it was only one football field after we put the supercharger on... for the record...
and i'd say it's a good two seconds I hang with you... (mostly thanks to you driving a GIRLY AUTOMATIC!)

and don't you worry... just you wait til we get all the 347 parts we need and spend 283 man hours attempting do the swap....
you'll have to actually use that nitro of yours to beat me.

and yes, he should be 500rwhp+ all motor... his car is a freakin monster.
It's good to have friends that are competitors. How large was the nitrous shot? Man, can't wait to see that stroker setup.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

i cant believe you put a t-rex in a 408
Old 07-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

hahah he wouldn't want to screw something up.... if I beat him it will just be a reason for him to do something else to his car!!
i'm hoping after the stroker setup, i'll be around 450 - 500 to the wheels without the juice, but we'll see. still need to figure out some of the parts I want to put together for a streetable yet powerful setup

i'm only running a 75 shot on top of the blower right now, but we need to get it tuned out right. He's running a 150 I believe, but can go up to 200 if he wants.

and what's wrong with his t-rex, he drives that thing everyday, pretty docile on the street when he wants it to be.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Launching!

LSONE: not sure what you mean by the T-rex in the 408, this is my Daily driver so i cant go too insane with the setup. Good combo IMO with a good idle (900 rpm) and rev limiter set at 7800 rpm and shift around 7300.

After the 347 stroker goes in, i hope he hangs (at least he should) if not pulls on me a little. Call me crazy but i would love to see that car beat me after all the man hrs we have into it and how far we have came since the 1st race (stock). We will get it all on film here real soon. But when he starts to pull on me you better believe IM flippen some switches LOL! You know I will have too Nate

After my fuel pump goes in ill be running a 200 shot
Old 07-09-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hahah he wouldn't want to screw something up.... if I beat him it will just be a reason for him to do something else to his car!!
i'm hoping after the stroker setup, i'll be around 450 - 500 to the wheels without the juice, but we'll see. still need to figure out some of the parts I want to put together for a streetable yet powerful setup

i'm only running a 75 shot on top of the blower right now, but we need to get it tuned out right. He's running a 150 I believe, but can go up to 200 if he wants.

and what's wrong with his t-rex, he drives that thing everyday, pretty docile on the street when he wants it to be.

In no way am i trying to offend you, but why would you build a 347 to make 450-500 rwhp.....with a good head, cam and intake...with an s-trim you should get that with the 302.....hell i made 502 rwhp with a 306 and an s-trim at 13 psi.........you add that 347 with good heads cam and intake and charger and its more like 550-600 rwhp with good tune and right parts.....believe me i have tried many differennt small block fuelie ford combos with chargers....by the way cranking up the boost on that s-trim would not be a bad idea either.....just my opinion
Old 07-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

well, the 450 - 500 is just conservative.. i'd honestly be plenty happy with a 500rwhp, 550 would be even better.

I think right now i'm going to go with a Victor Jr set of Heads, a Victor 5.0 Intake manifold, and an Anderson B-41 Cam. That with my S-Trim somewhere around 12-14 psi, and the 75 shot... I guess we will see where that puts me.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, the 450 - 500 is just conservative.. i'd honestly be plenty happy with a 500rwhp, 550 would be even better.

I think right now i'm going to go with a Victor Jr set of Heads, a Victor 5.0 Intake manifold, and an Anderson B-41 Cam. That with my S-Trim somewhere around 12-14 psi, and the 75 shot... I guess we will see where that puts me.

lol....you will kick his *** plain and simple.....oh yeah and consider an aftermarket DFI...with those mods...no way that stock computer is gonna handle it....or drive the injector needed to feed that much. The victor Jr heads are pretty damn good, but i have not seen great results from that fuelie intake. I love my R-series....maybe something to look into oh yeah be VERY careful with the nitrous with the charger unless you are just spraying it light as an intercooler......but hell with a 347 and 14psi you wont even need it....good luck....
Old 07-12-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kazfan30
lol....you will kick his *** plain and simple.....
I doubt that . Good to see friends helping each other out. Get video of the final race.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to see this race when it happens. Chris, Im Adam Lewis's older brother. Just realized who you were by your screen name and location. I think I worked with you at Galyan's for a bit, maybe I was gone by the time you got there. Anyway, I'm in the area......no fast cars anymore of my own but still lurking. And currently working on my brothers LT1 Transam. Let me know gentlemen.
Brian
Old 07-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

kazfan30 - I was originally planning on going with the R-Series... i'm back and forth all the time. It's cheaper and I think i like it's power band better than the vic5.0 anyways... time will tell, I have some time to flip flop before I pick anything.
I have a Tweecer R/T so i'm hoping I can get around any computer problems with that, but time shall tell.

and I dunno if i'll kick his ***, but I do believe I will pull on him if he's all motor. When he sprays it will prolly be a different story all together... but hey i'm more than willing to find out
Old 07-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
I'd like to see this race when it happens. Chris, Im Adam Lewis's older brother. Just realized who you were by your screen name and location. I think I worked with you at Galyan's for a bit, maybe I was gone by the time you got there. Anyway, I'm in the area......no fast cars anymore of my own but still lurking. And currently working on my brothers LT1 Transam. Let me know gentlemen.
Brian
hey Brian good to hear from you! nothing like working on an old LT1..too many people under estimate em. I heard he was having problems with it a while ago with the motor being bad? I just sold my old Ls1 for $600 back a few months ago, would have been a good swap. Good to hear from ya and let me know how the "lurking" goes.

Quick Reply: Supercharged 5.0 vs 408 ls1