Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Is There Something Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is There Something Wrong

I have a 98 Trans Am, 6 speed, ported throttle body, SLP Ram Air kit with lid, SLP 85mm MAFS, Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, EGR and Air Pump delete. I have a private track around where I live so I was out racing some of my buddies. I was racing a 2000 Camaro SS and a 2000 Z28, both bone stock. Is there any reason why I can't beat these guys. Every time I beat them out of the hole but they always caught me not long after. I noticed after a few runs my fuel pump was whinning pretty loud. I was thinking maybe my fuel pump is going out so my car was running lean, I also noticed that my car was running at 210. My car never really runs that hot, but if my car is running lean then that would be a good reason why my car is running hot. Why are these guys beating me? Could it be the fuel pump, or do you guys think it has something with me removing the EGR and Air pump without erasing the codes or getting a tune.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

EGR an AIR have nothing to do with performance thus really wont affect your car too much-i do notice you have a ram-air kit and a custom MAF-your stock PCM might not be compensating the extra air you have coming in thus making you run lean, your fuel pump problem probably wont help it as well, i would find someone who has a scan tool and ride along with you while its hooked up, that'll definitely tell you your problem-get your fuel pump checked out too-get the codes deleted as it will eventually set off an SES light but its nothing to worry about, it wont affect your car, also were these cars M6 or A4?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Dude, 86 that SLP MAF. They make your L-Trims go all the way up. I actually made more power without it. It's a piece of crap. Your PCM is dumping fuel cause of the MAF trust me. Take that thing off reset your PCM and try again with the stocker.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Import Patrol

Did your friends buy the cars new or stock. I know that when I bought mine new; my buddy bought a used 98z28 a week later, and he was beating me. The point I am trying to make is because everything seems stock it does not mean it is stock. My buddy in the z28 blew his rearend a few months later and it turned out he had a 4.10. But any way I would correct the pump, that could def. be your problem. Get a new pump, and get an aftermarket one like a walbro or a racetronic, At least if you plan on getting any mods in the future. No point replacing broken **** with stock **** if you might have to upgrade in the future. But get that done and try again, good luck