Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

got to run a 350z

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got to run a 350z

My friend went out and traded his BMW 330Xi for a 350Z....so he called me up knowing I had a Z28 and wanted to see how his car stacked up against mine. Both cars are stock yet my car has close to 80,000 miles and his had 7000 miles on it. My tires are down to about 50% tread while his are brand new. First run was from a stop at the light and he got the better launch and he had me till about 55 mile per hour and then I started to catch up to him and then we shut down. I was thinking to myself, "Damn this might be a closer run than I thought." Next run we find a good 3 mile stretch of road and we take it from a 35 MPH roll. 3 beeps and we are off...he stays with me until about 50 and after that I was gone...I ended up shutting down at about 125 MPH and had about 6 or 7 cars on him. After we pulled over he couldn't stop saying "your car just pulls and pulls and keeps on pulling...I just don't understand it...I thought for sure I could of kept up with you!" He then went on to say " Your car just keeps going where mine just stops...I just don't get it!" Kinda brought a smile to my face and made feel like the price I pay to maintain and keep this beast fueled up was all worth it. Now all I have to do is take him from a stop...but not until I get some better traction on the rear...well anyways it was a good race.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:23 AM
Teching In

Good kill!
Old 10-20-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine if you had a Lid, Exhaust, Headers, Tires and all the other small bolt ons. You would have annialated him. Start off with a Lid and Exhaust, which will wake up your car a bit.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

i have a similar appointment with a friend, just called me up today said he wanted to see how his brand new 05 350Z would hold up against me. it should be fun
Old 10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Let me go ahead and say that if you can drive, it is not worth the waste of gasoline. Atleast make him pay you for a 1/2 gallon of gas.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tripps
i have a similar appointment with a friend, just called me up today said he wanted to see how his brand new 05 350Z would hold up against me. it should be fun
damn someone is goin to get raped, and i don't mean a person...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Torque is a wonderful thing. Nice kill!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

nice kill
Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good stuff... Does he have a 6 speed?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Launching!

I ran a couple of 350 z's one had all the decals and wing........I don't think he knew what hit him A good run for them is a stock mustang gt or my daily driver GMC V6 Sonoma
Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

a 350Z was my very first kill when I got my Camaro...went from about a 40mph roll and shut it down real quick hahaha!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Teching In

I had a really good race against a 350z from an 80mph roll. We were dead even until about 110 when he slowly started creeping away from me. I couldnt believe he was pulling on me in 3rd!! By 130 he had about a car length on me. He said he had intake, exhaust and a crank pulley. Of course an ls1 is faster than my car up top so I would think even a modded 350z is no match for you guys.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good kill. I played catch up with my LT1 A4 from 40mph when a guy jumped 2 cars in front of me and i chassed him down (from my dead zone of 40..) to where i was riding his bumper at 90ish. I have not yet run one in my 5.0. I hope to soon A lot of them are very cocky.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow LS1
My friend went out and traded his BMW 330Xi for a 350Z....so he called me up knowing I had a Z28 and wanted to see how his car stacked up against mine. Both cars are stock yet my car has close to 80,000 miles and his had 7000 miles on it. My tires are down to about 50% tread while his are brand new. First run was from a stop at the light and he got the better launch and he had me till about 55 mile per hour and then I started to catch up to him and then we shut down. I was thinking to myself, "Damn this might be a closer run than I thought." Next run we find a good 3 mile stretch of road and we take it from a 35 MPH roll. 3 beeps and we are off...he stays with me until about 50 and after that I was gone...I ended up shutting down at about 125 MPH and had about 6 or 7 cars on him. After we pulled over he couldn't stop saying "your car just pulls and pulls and keeps on pulling...I just don't understand it...I thought for sure I could of kept up with you!" He then went on to say " Your car just keeps going where mine just stops...I just don't get it!" Kinda brought a smile to my face and made feel like the price I pay to maintain and keep this beast fueled up was all worth it. Now all I have to do is take him from a stop...but not until I get some better traction on the rear...well anyways it was a good race.
Nice one

And just an FYI

Part worn tyres actually have a greater surface contact area than new ones and also less tread flex. It has been tested and proven many times that part worns offer more grip than new tyres.

Provided it's dry of course, in the wet the lack of thread depth limits how much water the tyre can move, so the chance of aqua plaining is higher.

Tyre width, profile, size, rubber condition (fatigue), compound, make, brand, thread pattern are all factors that will influence performance.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Nice one

And just an FYI

Part worn tyres actually have a greater surface contact area than new ones and also less tread flex. It has been tested and proven many times that part worns offer more grip than new tyres.

Provided it's dry of course, in the wet the lack of thread depth limits how much water the tyre can move, so the chance of aqua plaining is higher.

Tyre width, profile, size, rubber condition (fatigue), compound, make, brand, thread pattern are all factors that will influence performance.
I've got some tires I've never heard of in my life....I think they are actually worse than Costco Tires (Kirkland Signatures) Those things just don't want to grip half the time making them unpredictable...it really sucks but I just bought some SS rims and Nitto DR's off someone and waiting to install in the near future
Old 10-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Launching!

I test drove a 350z a little while back just for ***** and giggles, the salesman rode with me and was giving me the whole speal about "it's the best bang for the buck around" and I was thinking this thing has no *****, then I realized I had driven about 5 miles with the e brake on released it then thought hmmm this thing still has no *****. handled great though.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cb94ta
I test drove a 350z a little while back just for ***** and giggles, the salesman rode with me and was giving me the whole speal about "it's the best bang for the buck around" and I was thinking this thing has no *****, then I realized I had driven about 5 miles with the e brake on released it then thought hmmm this thing still has no *****. handled great though.
yeah, i test drove one before i bought my camaro....it would be a great car for a daily driver....still quicker than a lot of the cars out there, with really good handling....very nimble little car

but for all out speed, i'll take my Z over their Z
Old 10-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Nice one

And just an FYI

I hope thats not true. Because I want to get new tires(Mine are worn) for my vette. Because right now if i give it anything over 1/4 throttle in 1st gear I roast my tires and hardly accellerate. In second if I floor it I will spin the tires pretty bad. I guess i'm gonna have to get drag radials....
Old 10-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slow LS1

What year is you're Z28. I've raced a couple 96-97 camaro's with the LT1's and stock for somewhat Stock I am (JWT Popcharger) I can usually walk away from them. The LS1 my buddy has just has way to much **** done for me to even compete............Damn Vortech.lol Good run still no matter what year
Old 10-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Banned

Not true with the tires on some cases. IF all rubber was=, it would be, but a lot of manufacturers "layer" the rubber in the tread and the bottom rubber is not near as sticky. I know this is the case with my friends 03 A4 GT (who can only spin the tires after they are worn down some ) As to the Cobra being pulled up top...WOW, did NOT see that coming, I think he had more than he told you, well, that and he does have more aerodynamics going for him.