Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 Cobra bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Cobra bites the dust

Not my kill but posting for a friend who never get on here

His is an 01 Z28 stock down to the paper ar filter only mod is 18 inch chrome Z06s. Cobra was a 99 with full exhaust, intake, gears and a few other go fast goodies. The cobra gives the 3 honks around 30 mph and they go up to about 90. The Z pulled a half car off the third honk and proceeded to put about a car-car and a half all the way up to 90. The Z driver just loved the look on the other guys face when he found out it was all stock. I cant wait to get my shot at him so he can lose to me with just my catback
Old 11-01-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice kill. Is your friends Z A4 or M6?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Good kill. I would imagine that the 99 would fair better that that. With those mods you listed I can't see why it wouldn't trap 108-109. ?? -Mark
Old 11-01-2005, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Good kill! I think that the pre supercharged Cobras were overrated from the factory, correct me if im wrong.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:20 PM
STF Veteran

my cobra wants a taste of that Z ..... jus kidding man good kill for your friend

Last edited by EvilStang; 11-01-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock 99 cobras only put down about 250-260 rwhp. They ran LOW 14's/high 13's stock. The exhaust may have given him a 20rwhp gain with LT's and the gears are good for about half a second FROM A DIG if you have the tires to use them. All in all, i think the Cobra gave a strong representation of what those cars can do, the Z just plain beat him, good kill.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stanger88
the stock 99 cobras only put down about 250-260 rwhp. They ran LOW 14's/high 13's stock. The exhaust may have given him a 20rwhp gain with LT's and the gears are good for about half a second FROM A DIG if you have the tires to use them. All in all, i think the Cobra gave a strong representation of what those cars can do, the Z just plain beat him, good kill.
96-98's put down those #'s. 99-01 (once 99's had the "fix" done) put down low 270's. But crappy IRS resulted in horrible launches. But that's water under the bridge. A loss is a loss. -Mark
Old 11-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

Its an A4. The race was not from a dig but a roll so the gears were not a huge factor. The Z was mine before i got my T/A. I raced another friend in his 97 cobra with the same mods as the 99. I had my stock shitty almost bald tires and handed him his ***. I really dont see the point buying a pre 03 cobra over an LS1. They are great car and i love the sound and look but we pay less and run faster
Old 11-01-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZEEMAN
I really dont see the point buying a pre 03 cobra over an LS1. They are great car and i love the sound and look but we pay less and run faster
Very true.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Banned

If you let me choose M3 vs. LS1 camaro i would take the M3...sometimes its not all about jsut speed. IMHO the cobras have much better build quality (except for that crappy IRS) and beyond that its stylistic, but yeah, F-bods are faster for cheap, but a fox 5.0 with a 150 shot is faster yet and still cheaper....not advocating, just mentoning...
Old 11-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Banned

Werent a vast majority of the Cobras recalled for a bad quality part?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

If you let me choose M3 vs. LS1 camaro i would take the M3...sometimes its not all about jsut speed. IMHO the cobras have much better build quality (except for that crappy IRS) and beyond that its stylistic, but yeah, F-bods are faster for cheap, but a fox 5.0 with a 150 shot is faster yet and still cheaper....not advocating, just mentoning...

ohh boy....lol

m3 vs ls1 would not be apples to apples...the M3 is way more money.

fox 5.0 vs ls1 would not be apples to apples either...

your talking 93 and older compared to 98 and newer....

unfortunately the closest apples to apples comparison is a 98+ ls1 AND 98+ Cobra(hopefully not 98 either)

and then there is the terminator...which is just a wonderful ford rocket with wheels. very nice in my opinion...

just my 2 cents
Old 11-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Teching In

I really dont see the point buying a pre 03 cobra over an LS1. They are great car and i love the sound and look but we pay less and run faster
I have a 99 Cobra and I think its build quality is far superior to any f-body I have driven or ridden in. In my opinion the Cobra also looks nicer, BUT I have the Cobra and what am I doing? Im selling it for an f-body. Why? Because i want more speed, and the f-body will cost a lot less than my Cobra did.

It sounds like something is wrong here if the Cobra guy had all those mods and still lost to a stock ls1 correct? Post fix 99's and 01's are around the 13.2-13.5 if properly driven. Anything can happen on the street though. Nice kill
Old 11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn Justin, leave the fat chicks alone. Either post all the time, or don't post at all, none of this pop in pop out bullshit..
Old 11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

well of the few i have been around(all pre 98) they have had lots of problems. friends had a 95 and a 97 the 95 had to have a new motor about 50k and the 97 went threw 3 motors in 6 years. Ask any Cobra owner and he will choose it over an fbody all day. Ask any fbody owner and he will take it over a Cobra all day. Both with exceptions. If i had not gotten a Cobra instead of my ls1 a year ago i would be callin BS and talkin mad **** about the Fbod. I tihnk both are good cars, anything but imports is cool with me
Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tihnk both are good cars, anything but imports is cool with me
Yes, I agree. I like any muscle car. I'm a Chevy guy from the heart so I chose to get a Z28. Would I drive a Mustang? Yeah. I got nothin' against Ford. I think they look nice and sound nice, but Ford seems to like small displacement. I would rather have a bigger engine. But all in all, I would drive any american car over an import. I am just not a big import fan whether it be european or jap. GM, Ford and Mopar are 1, 2, 3 on my list. Even though I'm a GM guy, I have nothin' against Ford or Mopar. I would still drive their cars.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Banned

If i was forced to sell my GT i would be sitting in an LS1, other than that i would have to do some serious thinking. Probably, a boosted H22 prelude if i was FORCED to go jap.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Its an A4. The race was not from a dig but a roll so the gears were not a huge factor. The Z was mine before i got my T/A. I raced another friend in his 97 cobra with the same mods as the 99. I had my stock shitty almost bald tires and handed him his ***. I really dont see the point buying a pre 03 cobra over an LS1. They are great car and i love the sound and look but we pay less and run faster
With proper gearing a pre 03 cobra can keep up with a mildly modded ls1. See sig. You probably call bs on my times if I told you my rwhp #'s. I have steep gearing and if I did roll race (which I don't) I'd only go up to about 117mph where I run out of gear. Stock longblock to boot.

They are great car and i love the sound and look but we pay less and run faster
Yes pay less but there is that age old saying you get what you pay for. I own both a ls1 and a cobra and I bought the ls1 almost 2 yrs ago and I have had more problems with that car than I've had on my cobra that I bought 7 years ago. Sitting/driving both cars I can notice the quality difference. But hands down the ls1 motor makes more power, but it isn't always about the #'s. You gotta have suspension too. -Mark
Old 11-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Banned

I'm sorry, but the Cobra and mustang in general but much more-so the cobra has head and shoulders above the F-body for interior quality, yes, bot hare plastic kings But...every F-body i have seen with over 50K miles has a cracked dash, loose interior fittings, and squeeks horribly going over bumps. My 1988 GT is in at least as good of interior shape as the 2000 TA at my complex that I rode in. And all the cobra's i have seen are a LOT NICER fit/finish on the inside. Yes, I like the F-bodies and all, but the cobra is just built with more attention to detail.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry, but the Cobra and mustang in general but much more-so the cobra has head and shoulders above the F-body for interior quality, yes, bot hare plastic kings But...every F-body i have seen with over 50K miles has a cracked dash, loose interior fittings, and squeeks horribly going over bumps. My 1988 GT is in at least as good of interior shape as the 2000 TA at my complex that I rode in. And all the cobra's i have seen are a LOT NICER fit/finish on the inside. Yes, I like the F-bodies and all, but the cobra is just built with more attention to detail.
you should ride in my Z28 then, it's just turned 62,000 miles and is like new inside.

Yes it's a bit grey and plasticky (but arn't all American cars). But it seems very well screwed together and it handles British roads with ease. There are next to no rattles, and the only things that really look cheep are the interior door handles, shrouds around the vents and the cheepy elastic strips in the inside of the sunvisor. The rest of the interior really does look like new, and that includes the steering wheel and seats.

I'm not saying the Mustang is any worse or better because I've only driven an 05 GT as comparison.