Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First race w/ a Evo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First race w/ a Evo.

I was just leaving the gas station and heading back home and looked up at the rear view mirror i see a blue type projector headlights caught my attention and its coming lil fast. The guy finally pulled next to me and he let off his gas. I guess he wanted me to know he had turbo. Well we wait to get a clear road. As soon as we did i heard him get on so I went after him. By the time I let off i had maybe a 1/2 car length on him. 2nd time we went from a 50 roll and we shut off about 100 and I was about car and a half to 2 cars on him. I gave him the thumbs up and headed back home. I was surpised how fast this car was. I actually give these guys more props than the pony gt. DSMs, STIs, and Evo's always give me close races. Good times even though the wife was yellin in my ear not to do it. But oh well It got the monkey off my back.

Last edited by 00 Freak; 10-10-2006 at 05:37 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 10-10-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

good kill, the STI's and EVO's arent hard to beat when they arent very modded. The very heavy modded ones are a lot faster. But then again our cars when modded are monsters.
I usually would rather race an EVO than a stang GT anyway.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which car were u in?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

Sounds like the Evo had some serious mods to hang with your LS1 from a roll. Stock they don't have ****, hell I've seen stock SRT-4's beat Evos from a roll. For an LS1 it isn't even a race, its just rape.

He probably had full bolt ons and upped the boost by a lot.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
which car were u in?
I was in the formula. Honestly I don't think i would've beat him in the SS. What do you guys think. The mod is slp lid and exhaust
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Would have been extremely close in the SS, but I'd give the edge to the heavily modded EVO.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

ehh... evos can be get really quick. theres a local one around here that only has a bigger turbo, stock longblock. he ran a 11.1 @ 131 with a slipping clutch. everyone says he'll give me a run for my money, i dunno how true that is, but regardless im puttin down 720rwhp untuned, and trapped 141 outa gear. they say hes building the longblock over winter and will "smoke" me next year. (i wont let that happen) so....just something to think about. i think theyre nice cars.

good kill tho :tup:
Old 10-10-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good kill. Sounds like you raced a pretty quick EVO
Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i dont know about the ss keeping up... nice race though
Old 10-11-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Regular

Its doesnt take serious mods for an Evo to be fast, depending on what you consider serious mods. Personally when I had my Evo I never lost to an SRT 4 from a roll or dig and i had the basic bolt ons + cams, built tranny, lighweight flywheel and reflash.

Its easy to figure if it would beat your SS, how much faster is your Formula compared to your SS, if you were barely pulling the Evo and your Formula pulls your SS pretty good, theirs your answer.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Its doesnt take serious mods for an Evo to be fast, depending on what you consider serious mods. Personally when I had my Evo I never lost to an SRT 4 from a roll or dig and i had the basic bolt ons + cams, built tranny, lighweight flywheel and reflash.

Its easy to figure if it would beat your SS, how much faster is your Formula compared to your SS, if you were barely pulling the Evo and your Formula pulls your SS pretty good, theirs your answer.
You consider cams and a built transmission "might mods"??

I suppose a Procharger and racing spec T56 would be "light mods" on my LS1 then...
Old 10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TransAminal

I suppose a Procharger and racing spec T56 would be "light mods" on my LS1 then...
Cams are a easy mod on an Evo, most consider them a bolt-on. A tranny is not a light or easy mod though, but it doesnt take a built one to go fast either.

Good kill on the Evo, what do you trap in the 1/4?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the Evo had some serious mods to hang with your LS1 from a roll. Stock they don't have ****, hell I've seen stock SRT-4's beat Evos from a roll. For an LS1 it isn't even a race, its just rape.

He probably had full bolt ons and upped the boost by a lot.
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Honestly do you know anything about the evo or the srt-4? Do you know what serious mods are to an evo? Do you know what full bolt on's are considered to be for an evo, and do you know what people are getting in the 1/4 with decent bolt on's and raised boost, and their trap speeds? Do realize that even domestic owner's have to correct you and you still act like you know what your talking about? Do you have a clue, an ounce of knowledge as to what your talking about? And are you gonna now proceed to call me a ricer and tell me to leave, lol.

How do cam's on an evo equate to a procharger on an ls1?? (now I heard everything!) Take a moment to think. A better cam on an ls1 usually give's much more power than better cam's on an evo, yet you still managed to go as far as comparing cams on the evo to a "procharger" for the ls1?? Reaching for the sky there arn't we?

To the thread starter good kill, hopefully I can get my hands on an ls1 next race season.

Last edited by jimmy169; 10-11-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIevo
Cams are a easy mod on an Evo, most consider them a bolt-on. A tranny is not a light or easy mod though, but it doesnt take a built one to go fast either.

Good kill on the Evo, what do you trap in the 1/4?
cams are not a bolt on. Where are the bolts? lol
Old 10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

jeez jimmy, I take it you have had a run in with him in the past??

Good kill OP, evos can be fast, and it takes less than you would think.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dal1as
cams are not a bolt on. Where are the bolts? lol
No they arent a bolt on. However, some people call it that because its a simple 2-3 hour job that can be done by most handy people. Putting a cam into an LS1 is a much bigger job as Im sure we know.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jpat1023
jeez jimmy, I take it you have had a run in with him in the past??

Naaa only in these forum's, maybe I should take it easy on em I was just trying to enlighten him, lol, the way he was trying to enlighten us on how many "serious bolt on's" that evo must have to keep up with a stock ls1
Old 10-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93ChevExt5.7
Would have been extremely close in the SS, but I'd give the edge to the heavily modded EVO.
How do you figure extremely close? The guy was in his Head/Cam stalled LS1 and had him by 1.5-2 cars yet itd be extremely close with a near stock LS1?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Teching In

99% of guys dont have a built tranny in the EVO. Hell, 900whp one has a stock tranny. Besides the fact, doing cams in an EVO is a cinch and as I said before nothing like doing a cam in a pushrod motor like the LS motors. Other than that, light mods usually include full exhaust, flash, licp and some other little stuf that doesnt cost much.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Teching In

there is another one besides the 900 hp one running around in florida with 1048 awhp