Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My 90k beater > Newer 3-series coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 90k beater > Newer 3-series coupe

My one and only street racing thread of '06 since I don't really have a car worth posting about in terms of racing.

I was a bit late coming into work tonight and instead of my normal ~75 mph, I was doing about 82 or so. I'm in the 2nd lane from the left and I come up on a newer silver 3-series coupe in the far right lane (2 lanes over). As I approach to pass, the California tagged BMW moves over 1 lane nearer to me and speeds up to match my ~80 mph and he nails it. As I notice this, I manually shift the car down to 3rd (automatic) and stomp it as well. Right from the start I get about 1/2 - 3/4's of a car length on him and continue in 3rd gear until around 105 mph. I shift to 4th, yet the car desides it's not really ready to shift to 4th till around 115 mph. By this point, the BMW is nearly 2 car lengths behind me still giving chase. We started coming up on some traffic and I let off around 125 but he decided that he wanted to do some weaving, so he cut off two cars at 100+ mph, hit his brakes when he came up upon a semi and flashed his hazards (after I had already slowed down about 1/4 mile back). I never "look" for this situation to happen, but it was nice to see my 90K mile beater still has some pick up.

It was not an M3...I think the outcome would have been drastically different.