Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

smoked an STI

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoked an STI

I was driving down one of the most cop patrolled rodes in this area with three of my friends and i passed a black STI in a parking lot with his lights off so i gave him a nice little rev and then i see HID headlights in my rearview. So we pull up to a set of lights, theres a kid in the passengers seat with a video camera and he asks me if i want to race. So of course im gonna, let me remind you i have a full car. Also this was when my car just had an exhaust. So the light turns and i punch it and i get a good jump, he was on my back fender then i just started pulling more and he gave up. I tried to pull over and get the tape from him but he just tooled by me probably pretty disappointed..
Old 03-19-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, but that sounds like he really messed up his launch.

I've raced two and took two wins on roll races, but I raced one from a dig and that STi launched like a bat outta hell, I might've caught up by the end of the 1/4, but maybe not.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

All that weight must have helped your launch. Good Kill.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill
Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice kill i love beating those from a dig
Old 03-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

STi's can launch hard, but its very difficult to get a good launch in one of those cars. You either end up bogging it or frying the clutch.

Once you have them off the line, its all over
Old 03-19-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i see he has a rebuilt tranny with a stall, so that helps a lot out of the hole! also, maybe he was running DRs as well, who knows. anyway, sweet kill!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

i had a spinning launch and he jumped a half a car by the top of first gear im already ripping past him and by the 2-3 shift im up 4 cars
Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

You call that a kill? Those STI's are a joke.......

Nah just kidding; good kill, he prob. didn't feel like torturing his drivetrain and slipped the clutch on the launch. He should be strung up by the nards for not giving up video..... ESPECIALLY if it was daytime video!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha ya, let me remind you it was before my mods (stock) and for some reason i noticed when he launched the front tires actually chirped quite a bit. maybe he had more power to the front? not sure but i beat another STI from a 20 roll not to soon after. That one was alot closer. I think they're a little overrated if you ask me...
Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98WsSick
haha ya, let me remind you it was before my mods (stock) and for some reason i noticed when he launched the front tires actually chirped quite a bit. maybe he had more power to the front? not sure but i beat another STI from a 20 roll not to soon after. That one was alot closer. I think they're a little overrated if you ask me...
With the STI you can adjust the torque bias front-to-rear with a dial inside the car. He probably has the power biased towards the front for whatever reason.

A little overrated?? Hah, more like one of the most overrated new cars (that and the Evo) on the market
Old 03-20-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i wasnt too impressed when i raced one on the highway, i was expecting to get rapped cause every panel on his car was CF and his exhaust was louder than mine, but i was right off his rear bumper each time
Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

good kill
Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

my buddy at work has an 03 sti. it took him a while to learn how to launch it. he pulled it into the shop one night before leaving and tried to do a brake stand in my bay. he started making a **** load of smoke and I noticed the smile from ear to ear untill i said "thats your clutch" lol. from a dig he always gets the jump on my T/A but after that i always blow by him like hes standing still.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Omec
my buddy at work has an 03 sti. it took him a while to learn how to launch it. he pulled it into the shop one night before leaving and tried to do a brake stand in my bay. he started making a **** load of smoke and I noticed the smile from ear to ear untill i said "thats your clutch" lol. from a dig he always gets the jump on my T/A but after that i always blow by him like hes standing still.
lol thats funny. He must not like his car too much. I cant wait to sell my wrx for a camaro.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Omec
I'm guessing you either got the year wrong, car wrong or live outside of the USA cause the STi didn't come to the USA till 2004. All 02/03 are just normal WRX's.

While I'm sure the story is true I think you should have lost that race. A stock STi and LS1 is a good race from the dig and with you have 2 extra people in the car I would thing the STi would have won or atleast did better.

It is true the STi has a DCCD tranny where they can apply the power between the front and rears but I thing they can only apply it between 50/50(f/r) to 30/70(f/r) so at no point would the STi have more power to the front wheels then the back. Again I'm not 100% sure about that but I'm pretty sure that is the case.

As for the guy with the STi doing a brake stand, I only wish he blew his tranny. People like that should own nice cars. Who in their right mind would try a brake stand with an AWD 34k car?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:52 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
With the STI you can adjust the torque bias front-to-rear with a dial inside the car. He probably has the power biased towards the front for whatever reason.

A little overrated?? Hah, more like one of the most overrated new cars (that and the Evo) on the market
Overrated? How so? I can see maybe overHYPED, but they do what they are supposed to do, and they do it very well. And so does the EVO. Going from a 45mph punch isn't everything
Old 03-23-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

An STI most likely won't last over 100k miles. any STI over 60k miles is going to have problems i've heard from an STI owner that EVO's and STI's clutches wont last if you race alot. thats another reason why i think there overrated plus for $30,000 they wont even beat an ls1
Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVO's and STI's are rally cars, not drag racing cars, but they do run well in the 1/4 mile. My buddy with his EVO MR ran a 13.3 @ 106 mph bone stock. Not too shabby. He now has about $4K in upgrades (WGA, bigger injectors, hks cams, evo 9 turbo, magnaflow titanium turbo back, alky injection, etc) and make 385 whp and has cut a few high 11 second passes without launching at insane rpms. Plus with the new england winters he can drive it all year round. Sure EVO's and STI's arent the best starting point when making a drag car but they do a lot of things well. I do think they are overhyped as every import fan boy wants one and worships them but they do exactly what they are built to do and are reasonably priced IMO.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98WsSick
An STI most likely won't last over 100k miles. any STI over 60k miles is going to have problems i've heard from an STI owner that EVO's and STI's clutches wont last if you race alot. thats another reason why i think there overrated plus for $30,000 they wont even beat an ls1

Ill see if I can get a pic of my buddies odometer but he has an 04 sti with 122K miles on it with zero problems. It isnt heavily modded (just a efw basic bolt ons) but he hasnt had any issues with the car. Also, as for the clutch, any car that is raced hard will need a new clutch fairly soon. My stocker lasted 40K miles and I didnt even rag on the car hard. Most stock clutches are crap from the factory anyways.