Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool lower ball joints

what is involved wth the removal of the lower ball joints? can you just rent the ball joint removal tool that they have at auto zone,or do need a press?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the specifics of the autozone tool, but they are pressed into the lower control arms. I'm sure the tool (or an appropriately sized hammer) will remove them, it's getting them pressed back in that I'd worry about.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

yeah i think you could get them out fairly easy its just getting them in might be hard without a press or some sort of vise
Old 11-30-2008, 05:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually getting them out is a big PITA, worse then trying to get new ones in. Using the ball joint remover from Autozone doesn't work because the control arm surface is at a funky angle so the tool doesn't want to stay in place. The BFH solution is a bad idea because you can bend the control arm.

I finally ended up taking them to work and used a hydraulic press to press the old ones out and the new ones in. I'd recommend that you find someone with a press and ask them to do this for you. Maybe buy them a case a beer as payment...