Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP/Bilstien Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP/Bilstien Install

Hey guys, Just installed the SLP/Bilstien package on my SS. The Rear looks great but the front looks to high, it sits nearly 2 inches from the tire. The kit was supposed to lower the car by 1/2 inch and it looks it from the back, but the front looks the same if not higher. My buddy says it needs to settle, anyone hear of this.

We did the install correct, but im not happy so far with front spring setup if this is the final result. Car rides excellent however.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Measure it now on a flat level surface, then after you put some drive time on it, then re-measure it.

If you have some less than perfect roads(not really bad roads), the go for a drive. Put a good 10 miles on it; on less than perfect roads.

Otherwise give it a week.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem and mine never settled. I wish I had Strano springs instead. SLP springs are not what was promised on the website!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

I'm looking to get these springs also. Did the front ever settle for you?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

It's completely normal for SLP springs to sit high in the front. In fact most of the time the drop is between none and about 1/4" in front vs. stock--and that's one big reason I don't recommend those springs. Also the shocks aren't what I consider ideal either, so I don't often recommend that entire kit.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could get a set of front koni SAs and put them on the lowest spring seat position.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Not sure what SLP is currently offering for a Bilstein spring kit, but I have the 1999 optional Bilstein springs and shocks installed on my SS from the factory (SLP installed right off the factory line) and my car appears to sit high also. BUT! I must say, it handles great! As much as there appears to be a lot of ride height, it's always been a low car. After I added the SLP long tube, tuned length headers, it's down almost too low for ground clearance. I fear speed bumps a great deal and really have to go out of my way to avoid them at times. The headers were supposed to only lower the ground clearance a half inch but methinks it's more than that. Sadly I never measured the before and after.

I can't say enough about how well my car rides and handles, I also enjoy good comments from every car buddy I've let take it for a spin. I'd ignore the "look" and care more about the handling. For my money, that's what really counts.
JT
Old 03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Not sure what SLP is currently offering for a Bilstein spring kit, but I have the 1999 optional Bilstein springs and shocks installed on my SS from the factory (SLP installed right off the factory line) and my car appears to sit high also.
It seems the general consensus is that current SLP / Eibach springs sit high in front and/or sag in the rear. I was under the impression that factory installs did'nt have that problem but the more i research the more i find they also sat high in front. I wonder why they can't get it right.

BTW..If your springs are dark blue you have a level 1 upgrade if they are dark charcoal you have a level 2 (stiffer springs) and both are progressive. I believe the shocks were the same for both back then and for what they offer now.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took off my slp/bilstien, because of this reason (also wanted to get rid of my wheelhop).

Switched over to stranos and konis. both problems solved
Old 04-01-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine(slp eibach/bitstein) have about a 3 inch gap between the tire and front fender. Kills me cause I love how the back sits just not the front. Ride quality is great thou. I have thought about just getting a front set of lt1 prokit eibach springs. I'm still hoping that BMR does the 1.25 drop like they've talked about. I might would have to get some of those.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

I Have a pro kit with stock shocks but am going with the Bilstiens how do you like the ride compared to stock?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I've had stockers on my other f-bodies and I got to say love the bilsteins. Never bottom out and they aren't too soft.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

And Bilstein's are meant for stock springs, not for lowering springs. And technically all setups for this car "bottom out" as in get to the bumpstops. What makes a good vs bad result is how hard you get on the stops, as well as how fast and how often, which is a function of both proper springs and damping for those springs.

Further, there are various differen Bilstein's. There was the previous generation HD, the current gen HD, the Strano Spec in which I use a different rear shock valving to get around the current rear HD valving I think it inferior to the old, SLP's, and Revalve (which we no longer do). Saying you had Bilstein's is kind of like saying you have a Chevy....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Teching In

I bought the Bilstiens from SLP awhile ago when they were on sale and I also had the Eibachs even longer. I finally got around to getting them installed and I have to say they look awesome. It dropped it about an inch and a half all around. The tires fit in the well perfectly. I did notice that my F1s are hitting somewhere in the front when I'm turning out of my drive way though!

Quick Reply: SLP/Bilstien Install