Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings?

I've got a 98 Formula with an awful growling coming from both front wheels. It goes away when you turn, and is most noticeable at parking lot speeds. The calipers are tight and the brake pads are fine, no sticks or any foreign objects, and the rotors become very hot after a short drive. I'm pretty sure it's the wheel bearings but I haven't jacked the front end up yet to check. When I looked on Oreilly's website, they did not sell bearings and races, but the entire hub assemblies instead.

What do you think? If it is indeed the bearings can I buy replacements separate from the hub assembly?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

It's likely the hub/bearing assembly based on your post and it's all one bolt onto the spindle piece. The bearing is not serviceable separately. Bearing > bearings.

Vernon
Old 02-14-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yup. Probably wheel bearing. Like poster above said, they come in a wheel bearing hub assembly that is a bolt in unit.

I actually just replaced the passenger front hub assembly on my '02 Blazer yesterday. It was humming from 10mph+ and would go away when turning left. Assembly was $205 and it is only a 2wd. Only took a couple hours to remove/install.

I think I priced them for fbodys and they were selling for $100 each.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Thanks guys! I wasn't too enthralled about driving out old bearing races anyways lol.