Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

stock springs... question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock springs... question

on a 2000 SS what brand are they, and would putting slp springs lower the car any?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, unless you are going for looks, shocks Konis/AGX will have much more effect on handling/ride of your car.

Ther are a few Ok some not ok and fewer good springs for our cars.

It's not sexy but proper shocks will affect ride and handling more than springs usually.Also an adjustable PHB is almost always necessary to center the wheels between the wheelwells after springs because of the way geometry is affected. A good alignment is needed also

A popular but among the worst spring for this car is Eibach ANYTHING.Pro Kits or Sportlines. Just run .... Away.......Fast.....

GC makes a nice kit but is pricey and the one I looked at wanted to fall out the mounting points when it was lifted (rear). Plus a PIA the a$$ to change heights which also needed a bunch of turning. It was well constructed though.

The LG I drove was great but I can't live iwth 2" of drop on the street. Can't remember the shocks either as it was in 03 (long tim ago for me).

I drove a Hotchkiss kit and it seemed OK but pretty unremarkable to me. Drop was not to low...Firm enough to stay off the stops and the bilsteins on it were adequate but not remarkable.

I want to compare my Strano to my buddy's BMR. That is why he bought it cause Sam was out of springs and front sways and after driving mine he wanted to upgrade. I still haven't made it up to Roanoke Va. for the test but on paper these look really close to Sam's stuff. I'll be sure to let you know though.

I have driven a lot of Gen I-IV f-bods over the years and this is by far the most streetable X performance parameters

It has been a long time but had a Gen II that was sprung w/ Rancho gas shocks, thick a$$ springs, and fat sways. With Goodyear eagle GT's all around it was incredibly neutral and had no understeer AT ALL and a little oversteer could be induced with throttle but not easily withy 50's out back. It is hard to believe but this heavy pig may have stayed close to SOMbitch in the twistys. I took several people/friends who vowed they would never set foot in that car again after a single ride(400ci,Torker II IM,850Holley, Hooker headers w/ side pipes,cam(???), 3.73 gear and pro ported heads by a shop around Mooresville that did lots of NASCAR stuff......I would love to know how it would stack up and how many G's it would pull vs. the current T/A. Sorry to get off track.... I hope what I posted helped somebody and I'll make a report on my next trip from Roanoke. I got rid of it to first guy who looked at it after my first baby girl was born

So far Strano/ Koni hands down....... but that Rancho setup was way ahead of it's time

Last edited by SOMbitch; 03-03-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

see id love to spend more money to get a great ride with a lower car, but im a college kid and dont have the cash for it, im just sick of my car looking like a off road camaro
Old 03-03-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

if your gonna go with springs, get strano's. just know going into it, that your shocks suck and will suck even more with the springs. but it will look good. so if you want to sacrifice ride for looks, then by all means. theres a ton of people that lower their cars with stock shocks. i myself wouldnt. but sometime down the road you need to be saving for some shocks. good luck.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have some KB Hypercoil front springs if your interested, better quality than eibachs.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I have some KB Hypercoil front springs if your interested, better quality than eibachs.
I know nothing ob KB hypercoils but + hose mod in rear who knows......Worth searching and /or make a post
Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
how much? send me a pm..

i will eventually replace my shocks/struts, just now i'd like to work on the appearance of my car

Quick Reply: stock springs... question