Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K-member swap question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default K-member swap question?

Im installing a new k-mber into my car and i was wanting to know is it possible to swap it into the car witht he motor still installed? If so has anyone done any write ups on this? and do they care to share?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

jim at quic rev did my rod bolts while motor was still in and k member dropped..Call him at 299-4358 or his cell 672-6814..Ask him how he dropped the k memeber in john valk's formula while motor was still in
Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it is possible. Strap the motor in the car from the top, a good spot is a shock tower brace. This will allow you to remove the K-member from the bottom of the car. If you need to speak with someone call and talk with Jerry in our technical support department.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I just did this last night. I used a engine hoist, two floor jacks and two jack stands. It was easy unbolting everything but getting the stock k member out of the way was tricky. I first bolted the engine hoist up to the heads of the car. I used the front of both heads because it was hard to reach the rear of the head. I then used one of the floor jacks to support the back of the motor. ( my trans was already out of the car). I then unbolted the k member and made sure everything was detached from the k member. I then took the second floor jack and placed it under the k member and slowly let it down.

Once the k member was down as far as I could take it , I had to take off the driver side a-arm and slide the k member out from the passenger side. With the engine hoist and the first floor jack supporting the motor, I took two jack stands and supported the motor so that I can "Briefly" remove the enginge hoist from infront of the car. With the help of two friends we slede the new and much smaller K member up under the car from the front. Once the k member was im place we re-connected the engine hoist to the heads for extra support and saftey. We took the same floor jack that we used to lower the k member and raised the new k member back into place. Bolted everything back up and was done.

It's a little tricky and I know that I could have done it better, but for the first time doing that it took about 7 hours. SO be patient and most of all BE CAREFUL. Hopes that helps if not pm me and I can go into more detail. FYI I took the entire front out as one piece. The shocks and everything. We put the new k member in the same way, with the shocks and everything attached.

Last edited by Shoulder Shaker; 03-19-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I did my lower a-arms and k-member at the same time. We put the car up in the air evenly so we could get under it, and then we took everything apart and then when it came to the k-member we supported the motor by some 4x6s or whatever you got laying around for wood under the oilpan. Bolted the new k-member up pretty much as fast as we could being carefull as well. I don't think the motor sat on the oilpan on the wood for more than 10mins. Then again there were four of us two working on each side of the car. I dont think you need a hoist and all that stuff, but it is up to you. It is just what i did and it worked for me.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

i guess im the only ******* that used a jack to hold up the motor under the oil pan while putting mine in. I would suggest not doing that its a bit dangerous!
Old 03-21-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
i guess im the only ******* that used a jack to hold up the motor under the oil pan while putting mine in. I would suggest not doing that its a bit dangerous!

did it that way on both cars.but with a piece of wood underneath the oilpan.and a good brand new hyd. jack.it can be done safely.running a UMI kmember here.

Quick Reply: K-member swap question?