Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can you use your stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you use your stock shocks

and just get lowering springs? Or do you have to change the shocks also?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can but the ride quality will suffer. you might as well put new shocks on while your tackling the lowering springs since it all goes together and so you won't have to worry about it later on.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

The stock shocks will also wear out a lot quicker with lowering springs. Make sure you choose a shock that will work well with lowering springs before you go out and buy a set.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Also,do the front springs have to be pressed on?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redbadss
you can but the ride quality will suffer. you might as well put new shocks on while your tackling the lowering springs since it all goes together and so you won't have to worry about it later on.

Very true! I used the OE Decarbons with my Eibach coils, since I swapped the springs when the car was only 2000 miles old. Plus, back then, in '96, there weren't too many shock options to choose from. Long story short, the car rode like a buckboard.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Launching!

you have to use a spring compressor, i suggest taking it to a shop instead of using one of them portable units. they are very dangerous.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Ok,I know a few shops that can do it. So I have to do shocks and springs..
Old 03-22-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't have to but you should change the shocks. If you have an extra car or someone to take you to the shop I'd take the front shock assemblies off before you take them to the shop to save you some money. I just used spring compressors myself but if you don't want to risk it that's understandable. If you do decide to use spring compressors I suggest you buy a decent set. I don't trust rented spring compressors or Harbor Freight specials here.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

I own a shop..I have mechanics that can do it for me..I don't have a spring compressor,but I know some shops that do and they can do it for me..I don't want to spend big bucks on shocks tho..
Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irocem99
I own a shop..I have mechanics that can do it for me..I don't have a spring compressor,but I know some shops that do and they can do it for me..I don't want to spend big bucks on shocks tho..
aftermarket used bilsteins go for around 200.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run stock shocks with Eibach Sportlines...it might not be a Cadillac ride..but it pulls 1.45 60fts and that's fine with me..hah
Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

That's the thing..I know its convenient to put new shocks in at the same time,but I don't really want to spend the $ on it if I don't have to.My shocks are perfectly fine..But if that is a prerequisite then I would be forced to do it. Also,how much stiffer is the ride with lowering springs?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont want to spend any $$ on shocks but in the long run you'll be better off to do it all at once. Saves you from doing everything twice including the alignment.
BTW you get what you pay for in regards for shocks, and this is not a place where you want to skimp believe me.

Save your money for quality shocks and do it all at once.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Ok,well I was thinking about doing a drop and getting new wheels and tires or getting a stall,heard they were fun..But both have other things you need to do in addition,that's the problem..
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya man but better to keep it simple and pay attention to one area at a time.
That way when it's done it's done and you don't have to worry about it.
My car had 120+K miles on the suspension and was in need of help. I did my research and did Strano/Koni's plus added Sam's Swaybars aswell and now it's a whole different car. Now I'n moving up to clutch and brakes.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's the thing..I know its convenient to put new shocks in at the same time,but I don't really want to spend the $ on it if I don't have to.My shocks are perfectly fine..But if that is a prerequisite then I would be forced to do it. Also,how much stiffer is the ride with lowering springs?
This isn't a matter if the stock shocks are in fine working order or not, its a matter of valving. They are valved horribly to begin with and are less than desirable on stock springs let alone lower and stiffer springs. I swapped out ~40,000 mile stock WS.6 decarbon shocks to konis without any other suspension mods and the difference was night and day, its the way the car should have come from the factory.

The "stiffness" of the ride will depend on which spring you pick, and of course the shocks you have (among other things). It will depend on your personal preference.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok,well I was thinking about doing a drop and getting new wheels and tires or getting a stall,heard they were fun..But both have other things you need to do in addition,that's the problem..
Sounds like you say you don't know what to do, but have a lot of assumptions that you think you know. I would toss out whatever assumptions you think you know and start learning from scratch.

What do you do with your car? That will effect what you should get. What kind of ride quality and suspension control do you consider tolerable? That isn't anything we can help you with unfortunately. You will have to either find someone with a similar setup to what you want and test it out, or just give it a go.

Basically stock shocks won't properly dampen any springs, arguably not even stock springs. The best shock to dampen most of the fbody aftermarket springs are Koni's as most people can tell given they do a search. KYB appears to be a distant cheaper 2nd choice for good dampening, but the fact that one **** controls both compression and rebound leaves you looking for a happy medium. KYB has poor warranty (don't let KYB know you are on aftermarket springs if you bust them). Bilstiens aren't really valved for aftermarket springs, but are built well.

It seems like a lot of people also tend to just cut the stock shock shafts to get them removed due to the shock shaft nut being stuck in most cases. Something to keep in mind in case you find yours stuck too.

So anyways, you CAN use stock shocks on other springs, but its a risk you take with paying less money. If you like the combination, then you made the right choice. If not, then you'll probably end up spending extra time and money to fix the first attempt.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmmmmmm interesting.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Launching!

You don't have too but I would highly rec changing them out.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm currently running cut front springs (one coil) and stock shocks. no difference in ride. I am going to a QA1 shock setup as soon as they get here though. my car would lift the front end off the line, and then slam back down at about 30 ft and unload the tires.

Quick Reply: Can you use your stock shocks