Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rebuilding calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rebuilding calipers

ok, both of my back calipers are shot.. i think i seized them when my brakes got stuck on from my brake switch pressing down on the brake pedal and eventually causing my car not to be able to move

anyways, i am having some problems with the back because my pads arent wearing evenly (one pad will look brand new, and the other pad will be completely shot)

will i have to get new calipers in the back, or is it possible to rebuild them?

thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

You can rebuild them, but you have to get the parts from GM. You might just want to replace them as it would be more expensive but quicker. Yes, I'm lazy anymore.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have they ever been cleaned and greased? Those guide pins need to be able to slide freely in order to function properly. If they're all rusted and nasty at this point it might just be better to pick up a new caliper assembly.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rwb
You can rebuild them, but you have to get the parts from GM. You might just want to replace them as it would be more expensive but quicker. Yes, I'm lazy anymore.
Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Have they ever been cleaned and greased? Those guide pins need to be able to slide freely in order to function properly. If they're all rusted and nasty at this point it might just be better to pick up a new caliper assembly.
thanks guys

last time i did my brakes i did grease them.. i cant remember which pad was bad though.. im pretty sure it was the pad closest to the differential.. but that doesnt really sound like a seized piston? at least i would think it would be on the piston side.

yes, it was on the differential side, here is a post that i made when i first saw the problem: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ck-brakes.html

edit* yes, i know that pad looked horrible, but i had no idea they were that bad until i was actually driving to the store to get new brakes, they started grinding, this was the day after my car was inspected.

Quick Reply: rebuilding calipers