Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Uneven tire wear

I am running aggressive (think: autocross) alignment settings on my '99 Firebird with 275/40/17 tires, and the inside edges of the tires are wearing much faster than the middle and outer edges. I DD the car so it sees a lot of miles but I drive very aggressively in corners (fun canyons/mountains around here). I will have the front tires rotated soon, but is there a "best" setting between good front end corner grip and more even tire wear? Right now it grips like a fiend (comparable to others who have more suspension mods) but on stock alignment settings it was awful when cornering (massive understeer)... Just wondering what settings/parts/tweaks you guys would recommend. I am very happy with the way it handles right now. I need to keep stock ride height due to rutted dirt roads that I have to drive on a semi-regular basis.

Suspension specs:
Stock V6 springs (it's a V6...), A-arms/LCAs
32mm OEM front swaybar w/ES poly bushings/endlinks
19mm OEM rear swaybar w/ES poly bushings/endlinks
KYB AGX front shocks @ 4
Bilstein HD rear shocks ("good" valving design)
UMI poly/poly non-adj. PHB

Last edited by ZexGX; 04-06-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to keep in mind, that the wider the tire, the less negative camber it will tolerate without excessively wearing the inside edges. The flip side of the coin, however, is you'll give up a bit of cornering bite. For the best tire wear, I'd stay around "0" to (-).2 degrees camber.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are your suspension specs? Chamber, Caster, Toe, thrust angle, etc.... Or when was the last alginment? Big ? is who did the alginment?