Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why I hate having other people work on my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Why I hate having other people work on my car

This post is nothing more than me ranting.

I decided today I was going to replace my rear tires. They are as bald as..well they needed replaced.

I called up the store that I had bought two from previously and they said to bring in it and they could have it done. I wanted the rear tires replaced, the front tires put on the back and it aligned. I was running two degrees of camber and was starting to eat my new front tires up.

I drop it off at 230 this afternoon and the guy tells me they are going to do the alignment first then replace the tires. The tires weren't there but were suppose to be on the way.

I go back at 430 and see me car is still in the air. The guy tells me that my tires aren't there yet and he doesn't know if they will be. An hour later he comes back and tells me that the tires were not delivered so they will have to put my old tires back on. I sit there till almost 7 and finally get my car back with the bald tires on the front now. I asked if he had at least got the alignment done.

He said no, THE ALIGNMENT GUY DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO GET A LOWERED CAR ON THE RACK!!! The guy that works at the counter had to show the alignment guy how to use boards to get the car up. So the car sat there for for almost five hours and it didn't even get aligned!

Then the guy asked me if I wanted to reschedule for tomorrow. If the tire salesman has to tell the guy how to get it in on the rack. I don't want them touching me car.

I hate not being able to do something on my car.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that sucks. I hate it too, I only bring my car to my personal friend who owns a shop, nowhere else, to avoid incompetent workers like this.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I share your pain...

I recently took on a part time job at the local auto parts store. I drive one of the delivery trucks. When I first started, I noticed that the truck didn't feel right, so I check the air pressure in the tires. Naturally, they were all over the place, so I equalize them at 35 lbs, what the owners manual calls for.

The truck is OK for a few days, but then starts to feel funny again, so I recheck the pressures. The LF is down 3 lbs. I refill it and then keep an eye on it...it looses 3 lbs a week, obviously something is wrong.

The store I work for is located in a strip mall, and a Goodyear store is next door. So, as I arrive at work yesterday, at 9AM, I drive by the Goodyear store, and see that ALL the service bays are empty. I tell the manager of my store about the tire, as well as the empty service bays, so he calls the Goodyear store's manager, and asks if we can shoot the truck over for a look-see. He says, "Bring it over at 1 PM"!!!

Long story short, they, just like us, had a slow day, and their service bays weren't more than half full all day!! I took the truck over at 1, they found a bad pressure sensor, but it took the leasing company about 2 hours to get back to them with an "OK" to replace it. We got the truck back at 3:30....
Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I couldn't find anyone else in town with the tires so I had to go back. I was only there about an hour and a half. They still couldn't align it. They were able to get it on the rack but they said they couldn't lift it to align it. I will have to find someplace else.

I know there are a lot of good shops and techs out there. I know it's not easy being a mechanic, I was one for almost ten years. I have worked on everything from weed eaters to ambulances to International trucks.

There are a lot of squrriels(sp?) out there too. They scare me and I don't want them near my car.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call the alignment shops and ask them if they have a drive on, with a pit. thats the only way your going to get your car on a alignment rack, a normal 4 post lift has to much ramp and the cross bar will definately do some damage. after i lowered my car, i was baffled on how i was going to get it aligned and thats how i came across the solution.

Quick Reply: Why I hate having other people work on my car