Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need HELP on Suspension Set up... Almost Died

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need HELP on Suspension Set up... Almost Died

ok well the other night me and my buddys GTO did a highway run 70-155ish then we did a 50 to 165 roll and we had to do some hard breaking well at like 140 i had to get on the brake hard and i swear my front end was dragging on the highway and i felt my *** end get loose like literly went sideway at the speed so after changing my pants and cussing for an hr or so i decided to do my suspension but dont know where to start... car has stock suspension besides LCA and strut tower brace, what can i do to get more high speed stability and control because even at 80 stopping hard feels like the *** end is in the air off the ground and control is limited.. i was thinking sway bars or go with front coil overs but not sure thanks for the input

also i cant really lower the car because my of exhaust and deep tranny pan hits almsot every speed bump at stock height

i know that Fbodys are not the best in handling and thouse speeds are not helping at all but i need something to help as much as possible
Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Bars control roll. Stiffer springs don't help because the dive you get is inherent in the suspension geometry, and most of the "dive" is actually just the tail up. The car is all over because the shocks are not controlling the mass of the car well, and what's more when you hit the brakes the rear is unloaded very quickly and that makes things even worse.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what would you suggest
Old 04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I do a set of Bilstein's that have a little more rebound in the rears than what others sell. They are $435 for the set of 4. Best used with stock springs, not lowering springs (not meant for that use).

I also sell Tokico's, and KYB AGX's (among others).

Depending on what you plans are, what you wants are, and how bad your stock shocks are (likely completely crappy since they are 9 years old and barely passable when new) anything would be a short term improvement. Long term is when the better quality dampers stand out.

Ultimately Koni's are the best dampers period......

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Need HELP on Suspension Set up... Almost Died